Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To anyone using a EBS Fafner head..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassotus, Mar 28, 2003.

1. bassotus

bassotus

Nov 24, 2002
    Finland
    Hi all,

the Fafner has a reputation of being a really loud amp for it's specs; have any of you ever compared it to a pre/poweramp setup with similar wattage?

I'm using a 80's EBS-1 preamp (lovin' it!) with a rather cheap power amp (rated at 2x450W@4ohms) and two 4ohm cabs. In addition to the poweramp protection circuitry muting the amp for no apparent reason now and then (even at lower volume), I'm not getting decent volume out of this rig without making the poweramp clip constantly, and still not even enough to hear myself on a smaller stage. And no, I'm not deaf and we don't really play that loud.

I've decided to ditch this amp and now have two options; either I'll stay with the EBS pre and get a QCS RMX1850HD and hope it'll perform better than the current poweramp, or sell everything and buy a Fafner (tried briefly once, loved the sound, costs a helluva lot more).

I won't have a chance to test a Fafner in a live situation, so I'd like to know just what kind of gigs you can handle with it using two 4ohm cabs, playing loud rock all night, without PA support?

Thanks,
    --
    Mikko

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    With my Fafner and EBS 4x10, I've managed to keep up with loud drums and guitar, turned to about 3. At that point, I actually wanted to turn DOWN!

I can't comment on other amps with similar ratings, though, as there's too many factors, and I haven't tested them in live situations.

3. bassotus

bassotus

Nov 24, 2002
    Finland
    BUMPt anyway;

There's gotta be more Fafner users here willing to tout it's superior volume etc ;) ...
    --
    Mikko

4. TRU

TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    The Fafner is plenty loud with a single 4 ohm Quattro. But playing clubs with no PA support for bass... that's a tough situation. I have no problem hearing myself on the stage with my current rig, in fact the bass is too loud on stage to get some bass to the audience too. I would go the QSC route, but the Fafner should handle the job too.

5. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I have a Fafner and have found it to be quite loud as long as you are running it into a 4 ohm load. It doesn't seem to peter out with an 8 ohm cab but you do have to drive it a bit harder to get the same amount of volume.

There are some pretty good deals for used Fafners. But come to think about it, I haven't seen an ad lately for one.

I don't recall any other Fafner owners here, other that us three.