1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

To anyone who's used the HOG...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Genericbassname, Sep 19, 2010.

1. I'm selling off one of my basses to fund what is going to essentially be an entirely new pedalboard, and the EHX HOG is on the shortlist for my GAS. I love all the functionality you can get out of that one pedal. However, one of the main things I'll be wanting to use it for is the standard "add an octave below" that you'd normally just use an OC-2 or something for. How well does it function in this regard? I plan on using it for other things as well, hence why I can justify potentially dropping $500+ on this pedal, but that's still going to be a major factor for me. Unfortunately, I haven't had an opportunity to test it out myself despite poking my head in literally every guitar store in the Boston area. Can anyone give me any other pointers on this thing?

Thanks,
    GBN

2. McSpunckle

McSpunckle

Feb 15, 2008
    From what I've read, the POG works better when you just want to add octaves. I've owned a HOG, and I can attest to the fact it was a -bit- thin for octave-down stuff. It's not horrible, though.

However, everything else about it is just awesome. Only real complaint is that it's positively huge once you add the extra footswitch and expression pedal. And you -do- want those.

3. It did a passable job for me in octave down duties. It doesn't sound anything like an OC-2, though.

Great, great pedal.

4. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    OC-2 is analog and will have a nice, warm tone to the octave down.
    The HOG and POGs are digital and are digitally copying your note, hence the sterility and thinness to the sound.

I have owned the HOG for years now and have no complaints with it. I looooove this pedal.

You can find them used in our classifieds and HC for as low as $350 shipped. I'd look into a used HOG.

5. frianbisher

frianbisher

Dec 28, 2007
    Milwaukee WI
    I managed to score one for a little less than $300, should be here in a few days I'll let you know how it works, but I am also looking forward to using it with my g****r so if it doesnt work too well with bass I wont be too upset.

6. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Nice! Use the 3 and 4 octaves up on g****r. Whistling.com! Also, put your expression pedal about 1/2way up on the freeze gliss with your dry signal + 3 + 4 octaves...Heaven.

7. frianbisher

frianbisher

Dec 28, 2007
    Milwaukee WI
    Shh stop talking about it, the anticipation is killing me right now. Watching out for a little brown truck.

8. frianbisher

frianbisher

Dec 28, 2007
    Milwaukee WI
    Well after playing it for a bit I have to say...THIS IS THE COOLEST PEDAL I HAVE EVER PLAYED. That being said it works much better on g****r so far. The bass notes get lost a little on anything below the 5th fret e string. I dont think it would work too well with a 5 string but I've only had it for an hour or so.

Score one on ebay for around $300.

9. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Honestly, if I were looking for an octave down effect again, I'd be going for an analog one. Digital octave down just doesn't have that fat deep bass that we all know and love. That being said, if it's working for you by all means rock on. :bassist:

Also as an aside, having owned a HOG/POG/Micro POG/PitchFactor, I'd say the PitchFactor is far superior to the HOG in all aspects except the awesome gliss expression mode, which you could do with an EHX Freeze anyways. :bag:

10. It also is much easier to use and tweak than the Pitchfactor. You need to make a change, you can see the change you're making. Not everyone needs this, but I really like being able to look down and see what is making the noise.

@ frianbisher- I didn't notice that problem when I owned mine. It tracked everything amazingly well, even on a 5 string. You may need to adjust your input gain to get it to track properly across the fretboard.

11. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Oh yeah, one more thing that the PitchFactor has over the HOG is that you can control any knob via expression pedal input or MIDI (except the effect type).

Also, I didn't notice any problems with tracking on my SR5 when I owned a HOG. The low B tracked fine when the gain was set correctly.

12. frianbisher

frianbisher

Dec 28, 2007
    Milwaukee WI

Yeah after messing with it some more I have found that it tracks every note really well with my active bass but not quite so well with passive. I think I just need to play with the knobs some more but man this thing is so cool and has so much potential.

13. ryansalmond

ryansalmond

Nov 21, 2007
    Canada
    I find the octave down sound is somewhat woodier than other octaves I've owned. I think I know what people are talking about when they call it thin, but it's quite moderate- I'd say it makes my humbuckers sound like single coils. Not excessively thin.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021