Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To audition or not to audition?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jazz Lover, Sep 27, 2005.

1. I just moved out of a very small town where I think I was the only person to play music at all and into the big (for me) city of Little Rock, Ar. I am really jonesing to be in a band again after a long time from steadily playing with anyone. There is a band that wants me to audition for them. My problem is that I don't really see myself playing their style of music for long if someone else came along who played more my style. Should I audition even if I might be leaving the band later on or should I wait until something I love comes along?

2. What the worst you could happen? You join and then don't like the music? So then you just politely say that you don't feel that you're giving 100% anymore, then you quietly leave. Then you're back to step one.

3. That was my first thought. My concern is that if I did that I might develop a bad reputation for unreliability.

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    What exactly is a good reputation for unreliability?

I dunno, how much looking around for a band or musicians that are more your cup of tea have you done? If you're just starting to look around, maybe you can forgo this band at this time. But if you've been looking around for awhile with no luck, how confident are you that a band that played "more your style" is gonna come along?

If yer interested in doing it, then audition. If not, then don't. Just don't let your desire to be in a band drive you to do audition for bands you don't have any intention of playing with.

5. I havn't been looking for very long. I like the bands music but they aren't terribly original. Good but not great.

What are some of your experiences when looking for a new band or moving to a new area. Best places to find people, etc.