Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To BadAss or Not to BadAss

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alembicfive, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Add the BadAss II

84 vote(s)
    50.6%
  2. Keep the Vintage Bridge

82 vote(s)
    49.4%
  1. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    This is more of an, "What do you think?" post. I have a Classic 60's Jazz bass due to arrive any day now. :hyper: I am torn between do I want to replace the stock vintage bridge with the BadAss II (for those about to post the pros and cons, I have been using these bridges for years and love them. I currently have one installed on my Standard Jazz) or leave the bass "original" for the classic look?

What do you think? Inquiring minds want to know!

2. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    for you, a gotoh 201 if you must change it.
    however, I really gotta agree with everyone else that maybe you should just leave it stock.
    good luck with it when you get it. I'm sure that you will enjoy it either way.

3. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    On that bass, gotta keep the vintage bridge. You already have the standard with the BAII. Now, if it were me, I would put the original felt mute kit on, and string it with flats, Labella flats! A jazz with flats and a mute kit is an awesome sounding bass. Oh sure, you could just stick a piece of foam under the strings by the bridge, but lets keep it authentic.
    A great jazz with mutes can be heard on Zeppelin I. John Paul really has a great sound on that album.

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Imho I would leave the bass stock. I can't for the life of me understand how people who don't yet own the instrument have plans on modding this and that :confused: . The 60's classic bass is what it is, a bass modelled after the 60's (badassII were non exsistant). It has alnico magnet pups which are what vintage pups use and is true to that period of time. Fender makes too many basses to take a period piece and do what you want to it. Imho a badassII is not the end all mod that one can make, besides you have a standard jazz with a badassII on it already why would you chase the same thing? The reason for having multiple basses is to have every bass fill a different need and sound with out turning knobs to hell on your amp. Hell I have modded basses, but not period pieces like my 75RI, my 82 p-bass spec, my Marcus Miller, Sting all remain stock. The only period bass I am guity of changing is my Geddy Lee, I removed the badassII because I wanted a alder bodied/maple necked jazz bass. The vintage pups black blocks and badassII were a plus.
    Why don't you leave it stock so you will have to definately different sounding basses. BTW the 60's classic is a great bass! :cool:

5. IMHO, if the original bridge is giving you any problems such as descending saddles, rattles or unwanted lateral movement, replace it with the BA2. I've had a couple of Jazzes, one a MIA and the other a MIM that had bum bridges and were replaced with BA2's.

If you don't have any problems with the stock bridge, my thought is, "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it".

Remember the resale value of the bass as well. Even if you keep the original bridge around for resale time, the BA2 will probably leave very distinct visible impressions of its outline in the finish when removed. (It did with my basses)

HTH,

James

6. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

Jul 17, 2005
    Wales, UK
    If I were you, I'd see how well the jazz sounds (eg sustain, resonance etc) and then decide if it's worth putting the BA2 on. Personally, I love the BA2 bridge, and unless it has a string through bridge, I put BA2's on all my Fenders.

All personal preference I guess, your the one who's gotta live with her no matter what happens

BOB.

7. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    YOU WILL NOTICE a Difference...

It is the cheaper option to buy the badass and thicken your tone than getting more amp power or something like a 15" speaker to add soem low end....

I got a badass, filed and installed it on my own and it DID add some sustain and definately did what it said it would with the other things...

I bought an Eminence Kappa 15" speaker (because I blew my old one from Hartke) 450 watts this one is BTW!

I have so much low end it isn't even funny. I can not compare my tone with Billy Sheehan.
    What i mean by this is:
    It sounds like I have 2 amps going to 2 different sets of speakers with one amp EQ'ed for the highs and the other amp for the lows. As many know, Billy has 2 plugs from his bass going to 2 different amps which are set up this way. As a result he gets beefy bass sounds and high highs with great harmonics and range from his bass.That is what I notice with my P bass and amp/cab setup now.
    I had 4x10's alone now i got them with the 1x15 in effect and the sound is massive, plus my WorkingPRO 700 can throw all 355 watts to each speaker to power them more!

8. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    A 60s classic Jazz bass is exactly what it says, a 60s Jazz bass. A BA II does not belong on that bass and I think the more stock you keep that bass the better. Let your 60s J bass sound like a 60s J bass, you already have a BA equiped bass. We want pics when it arrives btw!

9. KEEP IT STOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It wont look classic anymore. Heck, it doesn't even look "Fender" anymore w/ BAII's on em IMO.

I put a BA on my American Jazz and took that thing right off and ebayed it. Changed look, changed sound, IMO for the worse.

10. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    BadassII's thicken your tone? OMG! the mis-information that crops up! :rollno:

11. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    Let me add another comment here.

I have a BAII on my Jazz. The difference I noticed was a little bit more snap in the string response, while bringing a little more mid emphasis out. I think they are a good bridge for a certain sound. I like what is has done to my jazz, and I also like the stock bridges. I was going for a Geddy type sound from my jazz, and I get pretty darn close with my bass set up this way.

Truth be told I've changed back and forth between the BAII and the stock bridge several times. I really need a second bass to cover both of the sonic realms that I want at my disposal. Jonsey and Geddy are two of my favorite tones, yet they are worlds apart from eath other.

Like was said above. The classsic 60's Jazz is a really nice bass. I've been very impressed with the ones that I've put my hands on. I'am putting some cash away right now for my next purchase. Classic 60's, Geddy, or a Precision? Guess I won't know till I bring one home.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    IMO, if you love it so much, do it. BUT, you already have the Standard Jazz with the Badass, so it's redundant. The other point about keeping it true to the times without the Badass is a very valid opinion. I say string it with flats, foam mute kit, bridge and pickup cover and have at it. :)

13. DrSmaggs

DrSmaggs

Oct 15, 2003
    Endorsing Artist:
    sounds like a great bass. I'd get the badass... but you should do whatever fits your playing preference!

14. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    There seem to be alot of folks who are worried about screwing up a classic 60's jazz. Am I correct in assuming that it is a new fender 60's Jazz from the classic series? If so, it is NOT a period piece, it's a MIM jazz with vintage colors a tort guard and (maybe) upgraded pickups and neck profile. They are cool basses, but the resale of a MIM isn't going to be affected by whether or not it has a BAII on it or not.

Try it out with the stock bridge, and if you want to then change it for the BAII. The bass will tell you if you need to change the bridge or not.

By the way, I am not trying to dis the 60's classic, it's a good bass, and you're going to love it.

15. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The 60's classic bass is a recreation of basses from the 60's. It has an alder body, 60's neck profile and smaller frets, a vintage bridge, alnico wire pups, thats what makes it a period peice! not the color or pickguard. By your estimate my MIA 75RI is not a period peice either? They both are period correct re-issues of a once popular bass and were made to recreate that flavor of the time long ago.
    Marcus Miller jazz=late 70's recreation with baII bridge
    Geddy Lee=early 70's recreation with baII bridge
    75RI as made in the year 1975 (spec wise)
    70'sRI as made in the early 70's
    62RI p=made to 1962 specs
    and on and on, these basses are all designed to represent the period they came from.

BTW would you put a badassII on a 62RI p, a 64 closet classic jazz?

16. i just got a badass in the mail and slapped it on my p-bass. it makes a world of difference, I definatly suggest putting the badass on. BUT KEEP YOU OLD BRIDGE so you can put it back on when you sell it

17. Classic 60's Jazz + Badass bridge = bog standard jazz...keep the vintage

18. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    Keep the vintage. It just won't have that 60's vibe with the BA2. The BA2 is a great bridge, though.

19. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    hi,

i like the look of fenders both ways, BAII and stock.

i liked the sound and feel of the BAII on my orginal '75jazz (ash/maple)

i got cij '62 reissue jazz and put a badass on and didn't like it. so i changed it back.

i think a big factor for me is that i have a gk400rbIII. i don't really like the sound that much anymore (too bright and too dry) and the BA made that worse. if i had a phat tube amp i might really like the extra definition of the bridge.

so yeah.

but i think the idea of putting the mutes on is very cool. you couldn't slap and stuff but you have another bass for that anyway. it would look real rad!!!

20. i got a badass on my ksd...i love it...id replace it...

but thats only because i think the stock fender briges are flimsy and shoddy