Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To Bass, or not to Bass

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by bigmanb, May 8, 2001.

1. That is the question. Should i play in my team's playoff lacrosse game on Saturday or play in my band's second live show? My team blows and we will probably lose, but as the team's all-county defenseman I need to be there to help keep the team's pride. But i also dont want to piss on my band mates. I've know about the concert for 3 months, and the game since yesterday. Also, last week we got mad at our guitarist cause he said he decided to do something with his girlfriend instead. We had to hold him down and beat him to make him change his mind. AAGGHH!

2. SlappinDaBass

SlappinDaBass

Mar 29, 2001
    Gig. No question about it. You had previous obligations before you were told about the game so what the hell's the problem?

3. b comes before s... so bass comes before sports.. *shrugs* :)

4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    It's a playoff game, man! Give 'er hell!

5. Emerald_gasH

Emerald_gasH

Sep 17, 2000
    TO,ON,CA
    I say go to the gig, for the same reason that SlappinDaBass had.

6. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I´ll second that..

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If the only way they will have pride is by your presence, they don't have much worthwhile going on anyway.

Unless a lacrosse scholarship is a means to college, let `em lose. The team will break up at the end of the season/school. Your band may endure.

8. Yeah, you have to go to the gig after getting mad at your guitarist for the same reason. And you had a prior engagement.

9. Well, thats the thing, I am being offered scholarships for college. I dont think there are gonna be scouts at the game, but you never know.

10. SlappinDaBass

SlappinDaBass

Mar 29, 2001
    The college thing is pretty important but find out if there are scouts. Education is important.

11. So both the gig and game are on at the same time??

If they are, then go to the gig. Tell them you had no way out and that it had been booked 3 months prior. If you are such a good player (and no doubt you are), i don't think they'll want to lose you. Yeah they'll get $hitty, but would they kick you out??

Probably not.

Merls

12. Hmmm...
    this reminds me of American Pie...
    And we all know what F*** face...er...Oz :oops: did...right?
    :D
    Other than that, I have no real opinion on the matter. I've never been faced with that kind of situation, and I honestly don't know what I would do, either. I'd probably end up going to the gig, since it WAS a prior arrangement.
    But then again, who knows?

13. cschenk78

cschenk78

Mar 12, 2000
    Watertown, NY
    F**K SPORTS!!

14. Luckily it all worked out and i was able to play in both. I went straight from my game to the show and funked up the joint. The game, however, went horribly just like I knew it would, but I didnt want to dissapoint my seniors in their final game.

15. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    To bass or not to bass. What is the question?