1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

to bass & tom and jerry

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by x15, Jul 17, 2005.

1. x15

x15

Feb 4, 2003
    New Delhi, India
    well ironic as it might be, the song that got me unto bass as a kid, i heard on tom & jerry, where tom was serenading his girl-cat-friend playing the upright bass to:

is you is or is you ain't my baby.. by louis jordan..

i'm desperately searching for it over the net, and i keep findin covers by other people, and that just aint what did it for tom :smug:

..so if some one could be kind enough to put up the original up here, then, consider me indebted.

bassplayer8716@yahoo.com

:bassist: :bassist:

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Sorry, can't help ya... BUT...I just wanted to say that I always marveled at the music in that cartoon and still can't fathom how the hell they wrote and performed it all so perfectly in sync. I don't think I could even do that with sequencers, synths and a computer, and that stuff was all written out by hand and played by an orchestra. At least I know the earlier music was.

3. x15

x15

Feb 4, 2003
    New Delhi, India
    awe shared in totality..

:bassist: :bassist:

4. I also loved that episode- otherwise, I'm usually lukewarm about Tom & Jerry. Oh, & I can't help w/the tune- but Louis Jourdan was pretty big. You should eventually find it.

Edit: Dude- you ain't tryin' hard enough. I googled and the second entry had a 5 CD set of Louis Jordan including, if I'm not mistaken, the aforementioned tune. Make sure you spell the name right. ;)

5. Real late reply here, but if you're still interested in the Tom & Jerry music (GREAT stuff :) ), check out stuff by Don Byron. It was his compositions that were used in the Tom & Jerry stuff and other older cartoons like that. Especially check out the album "Bug Music" if you get a chance. All that stuff is incredible. :)