Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

to bass & tom and jerry

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by x15, Jul 17, 2005.

1. x15

x15

Feb 4, 2003
    New Delhi, India
    well ironic as it might be, the song that got me unto bass as a kid, i heard on tom & jerry, where tom was serenading his girl-cat-friend playing the upright bass to:

is you is or is you ain't my baby.. by louis jordan..

i'm desperately searching for it over the net, and i keep findin covers by other people, and that just aint what did it for tom :smug:

..so if some one could be kind enough to put up the original up here, then, consider me indebted.

bassplayer8716@yahoo.com

:bassist: :bassist:

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Sorry, can't help ya... BUT...I just wanted to say that I always marveled at the music in that cartoon and still can't fathom how the hell they wrote and performed it all so perfectly in sync. I don't think I could even do that with sequencers, synths and a computer, and that stuff was all written out by hand and played by an orchestra. At least I know the earlier music was.

3. x15

x15

Feb 4, 2003
    New Delhi, India
    awe shared in totality..

:bassist: :bassist:

4. I also loved that episode- otherwise, I'm usually lukewarm about Tom & Jerry. Oh, & I can't help w/the tune- but Louis Jourdan was pretty big. You should eventually find it.

Edit: Dude- you ain't tryin' hard enough. I googled and the second entry had a 5 CD set of Louis Jordan including, if I'm not mistaken, the aforementioned tune. Make sure you spell the name right. ;)

5. Real late reply here, but if you're still interested in the Tom & Jerry music (GREAT stuff :) ), check out stuff by Don Byron. It was his compositions that were used in the Tom & Jerry stuff and other older cartoons like that. Especially check out the album "Bug Music" if you get a chance. All that stuff is incredible. :)