To Bassman or not to Bassman

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JazZ-A-LoT, Jan 20, 2003.

1. JazZ-A-LoT

Jan 5, 2003
    So what are your guys opinions on the bassman combos from fender??? And which models r the best??
  2. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    I don't know if it's the best but I play BeboP-A-LoT through a Bassman 25.
  3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    They are good bass amps, but you can find better for the price IMO.
  4. I would like to read what they say about them too.
  5. I read over at Fender Forum that the first production year of Bassman 400's had bad speakers that would blow out. Fender said they would fix them but I haven't read any follow-up stories. Otherwise, I've only heard good things about them.

Try using the search function which is located at the bottom right-hand side of the page. Try entering the keyword "Bassman".
  6. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I have the 100, and while it's been extremely reliable I wish had taken the $500+ and put it into a better amp/cab set-up.
    I think mine is a solid combo for 100 watts, but I learned early on that when competing with 2 guitars it just wasn't enough. But, they make the 400 which should take care of having enough power.
    good luck!
  7. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Before going with my SVT4-Pro head I almost purchased a Bassman 400 combo. I hadn't heard of the reliability problems of the amp but overall was very impressed . It was plenty loud and handled a low b from an SR5 very well. I a/b'd the amp with a GK1001RB 210 combo and thought that the Fender had much more depth.
  8. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    The biggest problem I've heard with them is the inability to add another speaker cabinet to it. This would be unacceptable for me.
  9. gdflash

Dec 12, 2002
    Philadelphia, PA
    I managed to get around that with the Bassman 100 by taking the line out (XLR) and connecting it to the effects loop in of an old 115 Laney 70w combo. You can control the volume of the "extension" with the level knob on the back of the Bassman. Sounds much better than the Bassman all by itself, and with the two amps stacked one on top of the other, looks like a much more impressive setup than it really is. Another plus is that both amps are powered, so there is no problem with impedances and stuff like that. (and it's pretty loud)
  10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Ive got a Bassman 200 that I like alot. I played thru alot of other amps in this watt/price range and liked the Fender the best. Cuts thru 2 guitarists and a loud drummer with ease.
  11. savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    I have a BXR 100. Does that count?

probably not, but FWIW it's a pretty decent amp.
  12. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

I have a bassman 60 that I use at practice and i like it alot. it tilts back and sound great for a little amp.
  13. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Like Mike N, i also have the bassman 200. It keeps up with a single marshall half stack [100watts @ 8 ohms] + a fairly loud drummer in show band, in jazz band i don't run it over half way. When i'm playing the upright through it i have to get rid of a lot of highs [treble off, etc] so that the bass doesn't sound as brittle & harsh. For my Pilot + 5 it sounds great flat. I used it for my schools marching band show [state finalist], jazz band, & for first edition band [show choir]. It puts out plenty of volume like i said earlier hardly ever run it past half volume in any of those situations. I do plan on upgrading eventually but that's only if i can save up $2200 to get something that is significantly louder [lookin @ an SWR setup w/750x + big bertha]. Thats all