1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

To BEhringer or Not To BEhringer, that is the question...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Clark W, Apr 14, 2019 at 12:28 PM.

1. Yes I own pedals by Behringer and will buy their brand again.

60 vote(s)
    34.3%
  2. Yes I own pedals by Behringer but will never buy their brand again.

11 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. No I don't own any pedals by Behringer, but would consider them.

53 vote(s)
    30.3%
  4. No I don't own any pedals by Behringer and will never buy their brand

51 vote(s)
    29.1%
  1. Clark W

Clark W Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2018
    Yeah I made a play off of William Shakespeare in the title of this thread...

This thread isn't being posted for rants or raves against or for Behringer. I know most are made of plastic instead of metal, probably don't hold up to rigorous stomping as well. And yeah I know they are made in China. But you would be surprised at how much some of the upper priced, well known brands, are using components being made in China, and in some cases, made for them by Behringer in China as well.

I'm really just interested in people's personal experiences with their pedals.
    • How well do they hold up?
    • How well do they do what they are supposed to do?
    • How quiet or noisy are they, etc...
    Now with that said, I ran across this video about Behringer pedals. The first 2 mins and 15 secs is really the meat of the video for me. The rest is just discussing various pedals by other makers and testing some of them side by side with their various Behringer counterparts. Not a lot of differences in the sounds.

I have to admit I have been turned off by Behringer pedals based on Talkbass forums alone. But I'm starting to run into some people locally using some of their gear, mainly pedals and mixers, regularly for gigging that are absolutely happy with their products.

Maybe I need to rethink this or be a little more open?

PillO and Clark Dark like this.
  2. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Not pedals, but I have a Behringer X-Air 16 and I love it.
    The only pedal that I have from them is the Pitch Shifter and it sounds really good and tracks well on bass. The only thing that I complain about it is the switch that sometimes I can't really feel when it turns on and off, leading me to apply some times more force than necessary when pressing it.
    One Behringer unit that I'm really tempted to get is the Model D Synth. It's a great clone of the original Moog.

3. JohnPativens

JohnPativens

Sep 20, 2005
    Italy
    Wouldn't consider them only cause of their plastic enclosure. Circuits are totally fine. Some of those are being rebranded under TC Electronic now with normal aluminum boxes and they're good and cheap also.

4. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    Yeah since they acquired TC they are phasing out the "Behringer" line of pedals. I have a TC tuner, been very happy with it's construction and use.

5. Clark W

Aug 26, 2018
    One of the guys I jam with just bought the XAir 16. So far it's been very impressive.

dkelley and Nunovsky like this.
  6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

on behringer, IME:
    - some of their stuff isn't worth the cheap cost.
    - some of their stuff is worth a lot more than the cheap cost.
    - some of their stuff is perfectly satisfactory if used with appropriate needs/expectations, whatever the cost.

on effects, IME: two pedals:
    - chorus = works fine for my limited use of chorus.
    - octave = not a good octave pedal: you'll have to pay more for a good/better octave effect.

so i think it "depends" --- on the specific item + your needs/expectations. good luck with your effects quest! :thumbsup:

beringer is not "everything they make sucks!"

mcnach, maxschrek, TheDayMan and 5 others like this.
  7. I have pedals and gear from Behringer for things I don't need "professional bulletproof results". There is gear I use in my studio and for fun that I usually got super cheap or on markdown. For the most part I have been satisfied with the results and have no shame using the year when needed. Eg. I have a Behringer BLE100 that was a close out for $8.00 shipped, for the few times I need a bass limiter it has always done the job quite well. I have mixers, headphone amps, DIs, mics, patchbay, headphones all have been bargains and satisfactory in use. Would I go on a world tour, frankly no but for my current needs they fit the bill.

FilterFunk and Clark W like this.
  8. I want a Super Fuzz. Still haven’t bought one.

johnp352 likes this.
  9. I wonder how much uli compensated him to do that. Uli goes on forums (like gearslutz) and you can see what type of person he is. I’ve never liked the guy. He bought an iconic FOH mixer brand in Midas and ruined them. Their analog mixers were the standard for a proper FOH console.

No behringer for me, never.

ELG60 likes this.
  10. They work fine, but the plastic housings are not rugged and some of the foot switches are less than stellar. I think they are cool for home and studio use but I would be leery trusting them for gigging where they'd be subject to abuse in a situation where you need things to work right every time. Some people here have rehoused them with better housings and switches, but that's a lot of work when you can just buy the Boss (or whoever) version for a bit more money.

Axtman likes this.
  11. You blame behringer for that guy who ruined midas board and therefore you won't buy behringer stuff... again, because some guy who likes their stuff (as I do) did something stupid to a midas board (if i'm understanding you right)?

Interesting way to choose products to you lol

gfen and FullTime Tim like this.
  12. deste

deste

Sep 14, 2009
    Bologna, Italy, Europe
    Endorsing Artist: GullanskyLab pickups
    Basing on my experience:
    old (15 years ago) Behringer stuff: inexpensive, satisfactory even if not wonderful (I own a small mixer and a SM58 clone, they do their job);
    more recent stuff: a tuner (Boss clone), incredibly noisy, obviously the plastic housing is a weak point, and changing the batteries is a pain... well, you know; I'd never buy again a pedal like that.
    new stuff after the TC acquisition: I don't know. There are many low budget electronics from China (clones, of course) and they range from "nice" to "very fine": Joyo, Valeton, Mooer... I'd give them a chance, just to be curious, but I have some doubt.

13. tradernick

tradernick Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2008
    Behringer bought TC? Wow.

To be honest, the comments you get here are sort of irrelevant. You're dealing with a lot of gearheads here, enthusiasts. Behringer isn't enthusiast stuff, it's price point stuff. The people you're running into locally who are using it aren't doing so because they've determined that it's just as good as better built, better designed, better sounding stuff.

There's a huge market for price point offerings in any hardware field. They'll do just fine.

vvvmmm likes this.
  14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Behringer did not buy TC Electronic. I wish folks would stop saying that.

15. Over the years i've used, and known others who have used, plenty of Behringer stuff. Like anything made to a price point, and particularly made in China, you'll get good examples and bad ones. When you get a good example you've gotten a bargain.... when you get a bad one hopefully it fails before the warranty expires.

16. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    didn't vote in the poll as there's no option for me.

i've owned a couple behringer items - a DI box with EQ and a bass synth. i didn't care for the sound of the DI - i tried and tried to dial in something i liked but it sort of hurt my ears, so i gave it away with a warwick bass i sold. the bass synth i assume i gave to someone, but it could possibly be lurking somewhere. the build quality of these wasn't all that, but for the price i paid for both is less than i'd pay for a single pedal from boss.

oh, i totally forgot - i own the behringer copy of the bass pod, as well. got it used on music go round in perfect condition with the case, and it was a lot bigger than i expected. i thought i might use it, but somehow i never do. i should spend a little quality time with it this week.

my issue with behringer is that they use other companies' designs, companies that spend money creating those designs. many times, while there are differences, they are close enough to the originals that if you showed them to 20 bass players who browse gear regularly, every one of those players would be able to tell you which other brands and models the designs were copied from. and then behringer undercuts those companies on price, which is easier to do when you're not paying a design team to come up with a design from scratch.

well, they pretty much did. from TC, check out their post for 2015:
    Our Story | MUSIC Group - TC Electronic

and who chairs Music Group? "It is chaired by Uli Behringer, founder of Behringer."
    Music Group (company) - Wikipedia

Spectrum, mcnach, cosmicevan and 3 others like this.
  17. Hurricane Jimmie

Hurricane Jimmie Supporting Member

So Anyway, I own a Behringer amp and an EQ pedal.
    I don't use the pedal all the time, because I usually don't use any pedals. I've loaned it to our guitar player, and he bought one for himself.
    • It holds up fine because I'm an adult.
    • It does what it's supposed to do.
    • It is not noisy.
    The amp is also lightweight, powerful, and does what it's supposed to do.

18. For touring pro work I wouldn’t trust the brand. If you’re playing at home their stuff should be satisfactory (at least in terms of durability).

19. TimboZ

TimboZ

Jan 4, 2009
    South of Buffalo

Joining the Tribe

MUSIC Group acquires the TC Group. With the acquisition, TC ELECTRONIC joins BEHRINGER, BUGERA, MIDAS, TURBOSOUND and KLARK TEKNIK in what later evolves into the MUSIC Tribe.

20. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Uli Behringer purchased TC Electronic.

21. I bought their VP1 phaser a couple years ago, and it works perfectly.. as far as i know, it's the only metal bodied pedal they sell.. the switch sounds like it's gonna break every time i use it, but it's been used every day for two years, and it's still going strong.

I bought their TM300 tube amp modeler pedal last year, and it too is in pretty much constant use, and is holding its own.

Would i gig with these? yeah... would i record with these? no.. they are great for jamming, but a little noisy with headphones on.. at least that's my opinion.

dkelley likes this.