To Berg or Not To Berg... That is the question. Well, one of them.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BigMikeW, Mar 12, 2006.

1. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    I am going to post parts of what I wrote in another thread regarding the NV series (215, 425, 610).

Though I do not need a new rig or even my current rig right now (but will mid-summer), I am getting a serious case of GAS!

To make it worse, I am producing a country album right now and the session drummer (he will probably be the live drummer too) and I were talking gear yesterday and without mentioning a thing he said "the best bass cabs I have ever heard were these Bergantino cabs. I played with a guy who used them and a Walters Wood head and the sound was awesome".

I am very close to going back to sealed cabs. I get a ton of low end from my Edens BUT I find myself turning the tweeter off, ALWAYS. I do not play slap or need highend sizzle. I need smooth highs.

More so, I need highly focused low end and low mids. Particularily low B stuff. My B string has to be very defined and full. No room for boominess.

The 425, 610 and 215 are all the same size. The 215 has, of coure, two 15's and a 6" mid. The 610 has, well, 610's.

The 425 is what I call the Berg NV Hybrid One 15' and three Ten's.

I don't want the "SVT" sound necessarily. I guess I am trying to ride the fence between old school and hi-fi.

I want the warm, deep punch but lots of articulation, hence the Eden heads AND, Zero boominess but thunderous lows.

I play mostly Comtemporary Country (read: rock and pop productions at times). The rest of the time I am playing everything from Classic Rock to 70's Disco/Funk to 80's and 90's Rock and Dance songs.

I NEVER need sizzle. That's just me. Since day one with Eden I have turned off the tweets. Just to much for me.

That "Berg NV Hybrid" as I call it, sounds like a winner. I know where to get a couple but just not sure yet. I have nowhere near Los Angeles to try that cab. And certainly none with a good amount of Eden and Aghuilar amplification available (considering a move from the new WT-1205 to the DB750 - doubtful but I will check it out).

Another thought has been the Schroeder 310212 and just shut the tweet off on that too. It is also sealed. But, I have heard it is very high mid heavy which I do not want.

Thankfully, I do not rush into any new gear. Took me a year plus to switch to Sadowsky and accept the reality of what my fingers and ears were telling me but that my wallet tried to silence. LOL
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    interesting, cause the WW is a super hifi sound, and the lack of tweeters would sorta negate its use. still, i'm sure the head had LOTS to do w/ his sound. WW (supreme hifi, airy, and clean) is as far away from an Eden or Aguilar (warmer, thicker, more rock like) as i can think of.

still, remember you didnt hear it in person. so you might have hated it.

from all that i just read, NV610, no doubt.
  3. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

Not the NV425 (15 and three 10's)? Man, that cab seems like the ticket.

Joker, what is you impressions of the Schroeders? A 310212 looks entising.
  4. Mike. Just yesterday I hit 5 music stores in Atlanta on the quest to find new cab(s). I tried everything I wanted to and then some.

Bergantino cabs are IT. I liked the NVs, but didnt want a cab that size. I wound up getting an HT210S yesterday. Well I ordered one in 4 ohms, as the floor model was 8 ohms. It took about 5 seconds of playing to realize that I wasnt leaving without snagging the Berg cab. It took me about 45 minutes to pry myself away from the cab.

Truly AMAZING tone that you really have to hear to believe.

Sounds like the NVs are right up your ally, and I dont think youd look back after trying them.

Quit procrastinating bro. Go get a Berg.:D
  5. anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    My berg nv-610 sounds perfect with my band, It has huge low-mids, with no boominess and smooth highs, but I dont think the 610 has the "thunderous lows" your looking for. Sounds to me, like your kinda already sold on the 425. >> (berg nv hybrid)
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    you keep stressing "no boom", and all 10's is the way to go. its more than thunderous, too.

as for the Schroe's, if you dont like tweeters or anything above 1kHz, you'll probably hate 'em.

also, given that Tommixx works the Ryman, uses Sadowsky basses, and LOVES his NV610, seems like it'd rock for you, too.
  7. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

610 all the way bro. I'll never part with mine...
  8. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

Yeah, Tom and I have been on the phone a lot lately and he keeps telling me "NV610/Aggie DB750".

My concern is enough low end. My Eden XLT's are VERY low and still punchy. My old Ampeg's were great but not low enough.

Hey, you had Eden stuff. What do you see and hear between the two?
  9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    To be honest, I could see any of the three NV cabs working for you. The 425 might be the happy medium for you. My thoughts are that if it is all about a stupid deep, yet amazingly tight, low B, with great upper midrange clarity and definition, then the 215 is the ticket. If a full, punchy attack across the lows and low mids are what you are after, with still quite articulate, but not as high, mids, then the 610 is great. If you want some of the 215's lows with some of the 610's midrange punch, then the 425. My first choice is the 215, but again, I could honestly see any of them working for you, Mike.

10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    You are concerned about lows from the 610, as was I until I had my first gig with mine. The more you turn up, the more bass you get from this monster. I play 5 string, BTW. It lacks highs. That was my main concern after a few gigs, so I got a HT 210 and now run em both live, and I am in tonal heaven :smug:
  11. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Lacks highs? As in Tweeter highs? Sizzle?

I need mine smooth and precise but not razor sharp at all.
  12. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

Thanks for really screwing me up now. LOL

After Jokers comment I was on the 610 train. Now, I am back to thinking the 425. Damn you Tom! LOL
  13. ... Nouveau Vintage! I'm an HT man myself, but you can't go wrong with the Bergs. Hard to imagine that there isn't a dealer in the LA area. Somebody should take care of that and start selling Jim's line of equipment.

I had to go to Toronto (4.5 hour drive) to get to my closest Bergantino dealer. Perhaps a trip down to San Diego?

14. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Just get one of each...

Problem solved.

But really. The only of the NV series cabs I've played is the NV610. Hands down, it's just a crazy awesome super-fly funkalicious beast. One of the best.

Then again, the idea of the 425 sounds like it might be what you're looking for. A "happy medium" as Tombowlus put it. I mean, if you're trying to decide a 215 and a 610 - why not try a hybrid of 115 and 310s?
  15. I own the HT310...does that make me only half the man that everyone who owns the 610 is?? Hope not... Anyway, I love the Berg sound. Don't know how the low B is as I play a 4 string though.
  16. A couple of comments (my Berg recommendation for you is in the other thread).

Walter Woods / Berg.... that is a magic combination to me. I don't actually hear the Walter as hi fi at all, per a previous comment, but I do find that Walter's are very fussy.. they sound GREAT with some cabs, and the low end can really suffer with others. I had pretty much given up on my Walter until I got the little Berg 210. There is something about the voicing of those cabs (tight low end and smooth high) that kind of balances the Walter out. Not sure about the Walter and the NV line, but the Walter with the standard Berg's is a FANTASTIC combination.

Schroeder.... I'm virtually certain that the large Schroeder is ported like his other cabs. I think people think they are sealed because you can't see the port. The port on his cabs is behind the baffle toward the back of the cab. Also, I hear at least his medium boxes as more low mid heavy than high mid heavy.... extreme punch, for what it's worth.

As a reminder... my impression of the NV215 is exactly the sound you are describing vs. the NV610
  17. Quadzilla

I personally do not like tweeters. I slap a little here and there, but am not a big slapper and prefer the natural highs a 10 gives vs a tweeter (this is bass right??). Tweeters just sound unnatural to me with bass. Of couse, this is just my own opinion. This is where the Berg 610 really shines! Mike, you even stated that you like your highs smooth and precise, but no sizzle and no razor sharpness. We are on the same page here. I think the 610 might be a better choice then as the 215 uses a tweeter for it's highs and I wonder if it can really do well in the mid to high mid area with the tweeter turned down (to kill the sizzle). I honestly don't know, but I wonder...
  18. The 215 does not use a tweeter.. it uses a very smooth 6" mid driver and a very nice crossover. The 215 goes both lower and higher than the 610, but still has a very, very smooth 'paper cone' sounding upper mid. Totally different sounding than a high frequency horn tweeter. Given his comment of 'not wanting an SVT sound and balancing between old school and hi fi, the NV610 (or any sealed 10 cab) would not be the way to go IMO.
  19. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.

The NV215 is not an option. While I don't mind a very fast and tight 15" in a rig I don't want 2 - 15's. I love tens, twelves are very cool too.

This'll be tough deciding between the 425 and the 610. Then the matching of either of those with my Eden WT-1205 or going with the Aggie DB750.

The two places I saw 425's sold them both. So now I am really stuck.
  20. Quadzilla

Whoops, my bad. For some reason I thought it used a tweeter. OK, so what about balance at high volumes. Can the single 6" keep up with the 215's at high levels and output what is needed? Just wondering with the 2x15's won't overpower the single 6. I'm talking like at an outdoor gig where you need lots of volume. Would the 6 get lost standing 100+ feet from the stage? Thanks!