1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

To bi-amp or not- HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gecko 5, Apr 15, 2009.

1. I guess I'm kinda "old school" and out of touch.
    I have two "boutique" pieces I'm looking to sell to down size my rig. I'm looking to sell these pieces to get two, maybe three pieces and take the leftover money and pay down some credit cards. I'm not in a gigging situation, and these pieces are sitting doing nothing.
    They are an EBS HD350 head and a Glockenklang Quattro 410 cab.
    I am thinking of picking up a Hartke 410 XL, maybe a 115XL. And maybe a Peavey Tour 450 head.
    I play a Lakland 55-02 as my main bass. It has a very powerful B string.
    Finally the question....Is it "safe" to use the 410 and 115 "full range" ?
    In the past, I've bi-amped. My Glock handles the B with no problem.
    What to do?

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi Gecko 5.

While legions of electric bass players run mixed cabs full-range, it's generally not a good idea to do so because of phasing problems brought about by different sized speakers having different response times (a 10" will speak more quickly than a 12", a 12" more quickly than a 15" and so on).

I feel it's best to use two identical cabs (or speakers) to produce the most 'focused' bass amp sound (no phasing problems).

Ideally the speakers involved will be mounted vertically in their cabs so that when two (or more) such cabs are stacked, a line array is formed (which provides the best horizontal dispersion of mids & highs).

2X12" cabs like the Genz Benz NEOX-212T are a good example of said design.

3. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I haven't bi amped in 20 years. With all the full range boxxes out there there really isn't a need. The only rule of thumb I use is this. If you are mixxing a 2 speaker in 1 cab and 1 speaker in the other cab make sure the cab with 2 speakers is a 4 ohm box so each speaker see's the same power. This is the only thing I have ever stuck by. Twice as many speakers, half the ohms

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    IMO B-amping has been obsolete since cabs started coming with reliable crosovers built into them. I too haven't used a bi-amp rig since the mid '90s.

Paul