Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

to bias or not to buy it? that is the ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mingustoo, Sep 2, 2002.

1. question for all of you out there. i have the 'opportunity' to buy a gibson tobias from around 1993/4 (serial number 3604). here's where it gets tricky. The neck is snapped off at the fifth fret and so it needs a new one. warmoth said around us$400 for them to make an all maple deal if i shipped them the broken neck to use as a template. this would put the bass around the us$700-800 area. gibson wont even tell me the name of this bass. it has two gibson humbuckers and three knobs. any thoughts....?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Surely we're talking about a "neck-through" bass here and so replacing the neck is going to be a major operation - more like making a whole new bass rather than just bolting on another neck?

There's a pic of a Gibson Tobias from around the same period on Bunny Bass :

[​IMG]

Also - there's no gurantee that it will be any good once these major repairs are complete.

Maybe it would be worth floating this question in teh "Ask The Luthiers" forum - Michael Tobias posts there and he would almost certainly be the best person to tell you about the viability of a repair like this?

3. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    viability being the very word.

replacing a thru neck is virtually replacing the instrument itself.....

How can you be sure your costs are well spent till after the repair is carried out and you can try out the bass?

Just a word of warning, good luck with whatever you do.

regards...

4. to clear things up a bit. it is a bolt on and mike tobias says his records end in the 2000's. i asked him on the off chance the bolt patterns would match up. when i asked gibson for the specs and model name etc. they just told me to buy a new 'toby' bass from music yo.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well it's not a "Gibson Tobias" then - it will have another name - like "Killer B" or "Growler"

Try this link :

http://www.gibson.com/products/tobias/

I thought all the "Toby" basses were neck-through as well! :confused:

6. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The Toby Pros are neck through, the Toby Deluxe are bolt on. Check musicyo.com for more info on them...

That is a Toby Pro in my avatar....

7. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    yup.