Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To Bolt or not to Bolt

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WarwickFRK, Oct 15, 2001.

1. WarwickFRK

WarwickFRK Guest

Oct 14, 2001
    Well what is it? I know this topic has been beaten to death but. Bolt ons or neck thru? I personally like the bolt ons YET the neck thrus look a lot nicer

opinions?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You're right, it's been beaten to death before...

It's a philosophy thing, one is not better or worse than the other per se. Depends on design and construction.

BTW: I like set-necks best...;)

3. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I tend to favor bolt-on just in case something goes wrong with the neck, you have more options to repair it.
    I've had a couple neck-throughs that had some neck issues and became major work to correct. A bolt-on always gives you the option of simply putting another neck on. If I'm buying a high-end bass, whether it's rational or not, I like having that "out", just in case...

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yeah, I prefer bolts, myself. I have played quite a few nice neck-throughs, but they just aren't 'it' for me.

If you prefer the sound of bolts, and only prefer the LOOK of neck through, I say get a bolt-on.

I mean, who says,"Hey, that bass looks great on record."