1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

to BTB or not to BTB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shawman, Apr 5, 2009.

1. hey guys, thinking about buying myself a new ibanez, not had one for a while and been looking ath the BTB range

http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_btb675_ntf.htm

i really like this, had a wee play of one a few models below this and loved it, would anybody here recommend me buying this? don't really see much of them going about on here so maybe i'm missing something?

also not really seen any stories about it but the top horn looks a bit fragile, anybody experienced that?

any opinions would be appreciated

cheers

2. cheers for the reply! the sites were helpful, no mention of any fragility and the reviews seem to be great for it

3. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    I used to own a BTB, as far as the top horn goes ,it is indeed quite strong despite its rather thin appearance.

4. Shawman, I haven't played the model that you're looking at, but I do own a BTB1205E, which I bought a little over 3 years ago. I still love it!

There is nothing fragile about BTBs. Again I haven't played every model, but all those that I have were truly built like tanks!

True, there's not that much talk about them here, but if you search for BTB threads, very few people have anything bad to say about them. As for tone, mine, and most of the others I've played have been on the warm side. They are a bit on the heavy side, but not exessively so.

They are not Stingrays, and they are not Marcus Miller Jazzes, but they are versatile and if you like a wide neck, you'll be right at home.

I'd recommend getting one. I think you'll love it.

Any questions, just ask.

Mike ;)

5. Jonny B

Jonny B

Nov 5, 2006
    WI
    I own 3 BTB's and love each and every one of them. Never had a problem with any of them, and they all gig regularly.

6. 4stringman

4stringman

Oct 12, 2008
    Memphis, Tn
    I loved mine
    I just didn't dig the scooped-mids sound it had through my live rig
    so i had to part ways with it

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I LOVE mine. And I'm looking for a BTB 555 as we speak! (just stopped production on them a few months ago) I can't say enough good about them I own several basses over $1000 but my $600 (mid level) BTB is on of my main players. It's WIDE, and mine is pretty heavy, but I wouldn't trade the tone and tone controls for anything. I have played (no joke) more than 1000 gigs on mine! She takes a lickin!

8. OK, guys, that's what we want to hear!

More BTB praise stories!!! :hyper:

And remember: Pretty girls and BTBs go together! :eek: :cool:
    100_1616.
    IMGP0380.

Mike ;)

9. ^ You love showing those bass stands don't you ... that's OK - we love seeing them!

10. YES, I DO!!! :D

I must take some new ones though; these are almost 2 years old.

Mike

11. Bogster

Bogster

Oct 13, 2002
    Orange Park, FL
    Yes. :)

I own a BTB405 and have since 2002. Great bass. Versatile in tone. GREAT neck and fretboard. It's been the only 5 string bass that I've held on to. I'd love to take that 675 for a test drive.

The new '09 BTB's look great. The finish on the BTB775PB looks killer. And they're neck-thru and starting to make some of the newer BTB's with maple fretboards.

I just played mine today and remembered-even 7 years after I bought it-why I dig this bass so much. I highly recommend looking into them.

As far as the top horn-they started making the cutaways a little deeper over the last two years or so. The horns are actually still the same size, but look "longer" due to this factor-and possibly look more fragile due to it as well. I can attest after owning one and playing the newer ones, they are plenty sturdy.

12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Hello Michael. Clear out some of your PM's so I can say hello!

Nice bass!

13. thanks very much guys! think that's my next bass buy decided :)

14. just to echo everyone else--i got a btb510 in a trade and despite my efforts not to like it, I can't help it! it actually ended up being the bass i brought to the eau claire jazz festival last week--it really is a nice bass!

15. Hey Gary, go for it!

Must admit I'm not too fond of the new BTB shape, but thats more of a personal preference. But you gotta love 'em!

btb_closeup.

If I was back for longer I would have handed mine over to Marco so you could have had a bash with it and see what you thought about them, but it looks like your mind is set :)

16. ^^ BOING!

i didn't know you had that man! won't take up space on herew, will quiz you on msn about it :p

thanks though man

17. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I often pick up BTB 5 or 6 strings at a local store and I am always amazed at the construction and materials used for the price. I have never gigged one but acoustically or at low volume they all sound great and also play really nicely (ergonomically).

18. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    We have a FULL BTB 575 review in the next issue of BGM. Should be out in a week or so.

19. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ive never played them, but when I was shopping for a 6 string, it was between the SR506 and BTB. I ended up with the SR just because a deal presented itself.