1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

To build a scumbag Cinderella

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bloodhammer, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    I figure this should be as good a place as any to ask this.

How do I look like I have money, without being a d-bag or running out of said money by spending it on stuff that makes me look like I have money (being a d-bag)?

To be more specific, what I mean is that I'm not poor, but because I'm long used to being quite under-funded, I haven't developed habits (or ways of carrying myself) that speak of having a nice cozy life and a comfortable home. I don't - but it would be nice to be able to crash the ball and meet a classy woman (an' get dim digits!) before I have to get back to robbing graves by midnight. My charm will be sufficient from that point.

I don't mean this to be a "I need help with women" thread. No, no. This is more of a "tell me how to look like a boss in public" type thing.

Also, is it okay to wear combat boots under slacks? All you see are the toes and they're black leather.....

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I can only suggest you make sure you wear clean clothes. Like, do your laundry once every week or two.
    The rest just seems to happen naturally for me. Of course, Ive attracted many a scumbag in my life, so take my advice for what its worth.

3. Mysterion

Mysterion

Jan 10, 2012
    Kudos on wanting to elevate your presentation. I'd start by eliminating phrases like "dark digits" from your lexicon.
    No.

4. Haha! Same here!

5. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Present yourself cleanly and neatly, and look confident at all times. But not *intense*, ya dig? Look people in the eyes as you walk by. Appear.."approachable" / "inviting" / pleasant.
    If you have long hair / facial hair, just keep it *presentable*. Spend the 20 bucks for a proper trim up.

I've worn the boots / slacks ensemble to no ill effect. Learn how to iron well. A neat collar and a crisp button placket go a long way, even if you don't tuck in your shirt (but you SHOULD consider it). That, or rock some decent polos, with no-curl collars. I'm getting a little taste-specific, sorry.

The rest is all in what falls out of yur mouth...don't put on airs, just be genuine...less maintenence that way.

6. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Normally I'm a slob, but occasionally life makes me wear a suit. If you're going to buy a suit, go one notch lower than you think you can afford and spend the difference at a good tailor getting it fitted.

7. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    To me, a nice blazer with a v neck undershirt works well with jeans and nice shoes in that environment. Not overly dressy, shows you are comfortable and confident.

As for the money part, find a rich guys tossed ATM receipt and then accidentally drop it when you are opening your wallet to pay for a drink at the bar. Naturally, she will pick it up to be nice and take a glance at the balance. Then you are in like Flynn.

8. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Plus 1 so what's been said. I'll add, wear an analog watch.

9. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Thats some pretty good suit advice.
    A well tailored suit, I think, looks better than an average fit expensive suit.

10. Mysterion

Mysterion

Jan 10, 2012
    I should probably clarify: I've worn combat boots with slacks. In 1977. At CBGB.

If OP wants to "look like I have money," I'll agree with getting a suit, tailored to fit. Good shoes help, too.

Of course, I've worn jeans, t-shirt, and boots pretty much every day for 35 years--always clean, but typically well-worn. On the very rare occasions on which I have to dress, I do sweat the details.

Of course, nobody is confusing me with someone who has money.

11. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    ROTF!!!

my friend had me take pix of him wearing a business suit, then he posted them on several "Singles Sites"! he later tells me that getting women is way easier now. :) by the time they realise he's broke,... he's got dem drawers, Dawg!!!:hyper:

12. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    1. Clean body.
    2. Clean and ironed clothes that fit well.
    3. Decent shoes. Something with a little style or mild eccentricity can add a nice flash of character.
    4. Clean, brushed, and trimmed hair (this doesn't necessarily mean short).
    5. Smile.
    6. Be confident with who you are and your awsome skills that the ladies have yet to discover.

13. Earache

Earache

Feb 3, 2012
    Denver
    Suit ...no tie. Two top buttons unbuttoned. White shirt preferably. Suit color of your liking. Werd up on the watch, think Rolex. Never, ever, wear boots with a suit, ever. Stand up straight and smile.

Then go to wines bars. ;)

14. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    oh, and ...

no pics, no scumbag Cinderella

15. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Bear in mind, imo, suit does not equal "boss" and if it's outside your comfort zone, it's also a lie.

I dig a nice blazer / jeans combo. It's a respectable honest semi-upscale casual look.

I hate those overly embroidered shirts with designs stitched into an otherwise decent collared shirt. That crap screams Jersey Shore Prom.

Be honest with yourself first before you go whole hog on a reinvention of yourself that doesn't reflect you.

16. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    This is my everyyday winter look. Ive got to lose the blazer when the heat is high.

17. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    Quotation #253 from Michael Moncur's (Cynical) Quotations:

Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.

Mark Twain
    US humorist, novelist, short story author, & wit (1835 - 1910)

18. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Hell yeah! That's awesome!

As for suits, I have two that look great on me, but I wouldn't be able to get away with wearing one unless there was an occasion to. I've not worn my boots with one (I have dress shoes), but I've wondered if anyone would notice if I did......

I'm liking the watch suggestion. I'm not buying a Rolex, but a single expensive ornament might make up for the plain street clothes. Maybe some divorced chick will notice it and ask me the time. ;)

The confidence and/or "be yourself" tactic works both for and against me. My tastes in art and literature are dark, my taste in music is abrasive, my sense of humor is irreverent, and my opinions are cynical. I laugh a lot, but sometimes it's at the irony of misfortune, rather than out of merriment. I can only be myself, but I need to "tone down" myself at times.

I'll get yer pics, Fluffy, as soon as I can trick someone into taking them!

Keep it coming!

19. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    With your appearance (clothing and grooming), what matters most is that you look like you give a damn about it. It's okay to not dress exactly like everyone else in the room, but be polished about your look.

20. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    just be sure to leave the Ball before midnight or your aston martin will turn back into a pumpkin. seriously, even if you manage to charm the skirt off some high faluttin debutant, the people you really have to impress are the parents of said debutant to really be in like flint, otherwise your just gonna be another play thing to her.