To buy a processor, or not to buy a processor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tubbs, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Tubbs

Jan 3, 2006
    I've been playing bass about 2 months and i am getting lessons in about a week. I was wondering whether or not to buy an FX processor because i want to try out some new sounds and try and write some stuff using them.

Thanks! In advance

Tubbs :bassist:
  2. dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    I would give it time and save your money based on how long you say you have been playing. Concentrate on learning the instrument and your technique right now ... spend the money on lessons and/or a good bass/amp. Effects will have a tendancy to mask what is actually being played and I think it would hurt you in the long run. Be patient ... effects arent going anywhere. Just my opinion ... good luck!
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Get a metronome, a tuner, a good cable and a decent amp.
    That's all you should need for now. Keep the money for the lessons.
  4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
  5. Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX

Effects, IMO, should be used to complement a piece of music, not to write music around. I think after you play for a while, you may find you only really would use one or two effects, or none at all. You can get FAR superior effects in a one piece unit than any multi-processor I have seen. In addition, I have played on stages so small a processor would not fit, in which case I can arrange my pedals arond my mic stand.
  6. haha i like your sig.. where is that from?
  7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Hm I like my GT-6B a lot. Sometimes you need some effects for songs, even for writing them. For instance, I need wah sometimes, and distortion, and some of the MIDI effects on this thing come in very handy in certain instances. Really helps in song writing. However, nothing can substitute good technique, and that should be learned first and you should spend on other gear before effects. That said, having an FX unit helps me practice sometimes by keeping me playing and getting new sounds and such out of it.
  8. Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    The guy that posted it. :rollno: