To buy new or used Aguilar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Feb 27, 2006.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am in the market to get a new Aguilar combo and i intend to keep it as a long time rig and my question is i found a used one for $400 less then the new price but i have no idea what is going on inside of it but i can buy a new one with a warranty and be assured it it is good to go with no problems , is it worth the savings to buy used on a new rig?. Thanks
  2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I'd say..... it depends.

If the "discount" for buying used is 1/3 or greater (for example, $800 or less used for a piece that is $1200 new), and it appears to have been well kept, I'd go used.

If the savings are less on a percentage basis, or the piece looks like it has been through hard times, I'd pass.
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    considering you dont get warranty support on used Aguilar stuff, and if you're a hard gigger, i wouldnt recommend it.
  4. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Since this is a combo I'm assuming it is a AG500 based product. The warranty I think is 3 years. Since it is solid state and the things that break may not be as expensive as the tube stuff. You may spend less than $400 if something breaks and still maintain your savings. Since the warranty on the DB series is 10 years, I would definitely buy new.
  5. alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    Age and condtion are the important factors for me when buying used amplification. I tend to find that 'immaculate' used gear are being sold for around 20% of the new discount price and at this difference I have always gone new. A friend of mine consistently comes across 'bedroom' warrior kit that's less than a year old and half the selling price of new units. Don't know how/why he does, but i'm never that lucky.
  6. seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    This is good advice. And be leery if you buy from a heavy gigger. I know a couple of friends who blow a piece of gear that they run out and replace. They then fix up the old enough to sell it, and some poor sap picks it up. Used cabs may not have original drivers, or they may be heavily abused that doesn't show on the outside.

If you can afford it - get new with the warranty.
  7. aguilar combos seem to be on sale all the time, bassnw had some a few weeks ago and I think bass emporium has some on sale right now, so you might want to check that out before going used.

How is the mid range on these combos?
  9. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    It's basically the same as a GS112 and a AG500SC, so it has a naturally scooped sound. There's mids to be heard, you just have to dial it in.
  10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    what jive1 said.

thankfully the EQ on the AG500 side works great w/ the GS112.

btw, pretty sure jivesound has one in stock. ;)
  11. K2000

Nov 16, 2005
    The used gear market is over-priced a lot of times. I think 50% of the new (retail, not list) price is what used gear should sell for, unless it is rare or a collector's item, vintage etc.
  12. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Amps i like to buy new. I bought my old ampeg used because i couldnt afford it new and desperately needed a new amp, but after that, only new for me. Im kinda turning that way with all my stuff. now that im not desperate for new gear and its more of a self reward to myself every now and then, i like new. Funny because 2 years ago i never would buy a bass new.
  13. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I've bought a TON of used gear and never been dissatisfied. The ONLY time I buy new is when an item is new to the market or the resale is so high that it doesn't make sense. I just got a perfect Geddy Lee for 549$ w/gig bag. It was less then a month old. Why pay 100$ for a warranty on a bass? Also with pro level equipment (Aguilar and Sadowsky certainly fit that description) the stuff is built to be reliable and last. Now when you get within 20% of new price I would certainly consider new.
  14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've never had a problem buying used amps.

I don't remember the last time I bought a new amp.
  15. I buy more used than new. Whenever I bought a used amp, I always took it to a tech for cleaning & a checkup immediately. It's really beneficial if you buy used from a retailer. If any major flaws are discovered, then you're well within the return period at which point it can either be repaired by or returned to retailer. I'm sure that's not new advice, but knowing a tech eases the trepidation of buying used stuff.
  16. I vote new simply because of the 3 year warranty. There was a minor problem with my new AG 500SC and Aguilar repaired it in less than a week. I can't say enough good things about Aguilar customer service.

I think the AG 500 and a single GS112 are a great sounding combination. It's a killer portable small gig rig. The bass response from a single GS112 never fails to surprise people.

Also I know you're not asking for advice about this, but if it were me I would buy the head and cab separately. The combo is awkward to carry IMO, and a separate head/combo rig is more flexible.

I am leaning towards buying new and supporting one of our talk bass members. :bassist:
  18. Craig Phillips

Craig Phillips Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Sacramento, Calif.
    Tightbidness, what problem did you have with the AG500sc?:ninja:

No regreats going used on the combo, I couldent be happeir with it. :bassist:
  20. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds

I was thinking the same thing as I am getting ready to buy a DB750. I can get one used for about $400 - $450 less that I can get them new.

The 10 year warranty is worth that much to me.