Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To buy or not to buy, a Sadowsky, that is the question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gwreid, Jul 20, 2005.

1. gwreid

gwreid

Apr 8, 2005
    Utah
    Sadowsky aficionados, there is a 24 fret Sad for sale on eBay that, the owner says, had its neck swapped by the previous owner who had two of these and preferred the maple neck on this maple bodied bass. It's up for a second time and the first time didn't get one bid at $2,500. It appears to be mint but I'm guessing the neck swap is frightening people. What are your thoughts on buying what looks like an "honest" bass but is acknowledged to have been somewhat cannibalized?

2. Who swapped the neck?

If 'some Joe' did it it,then I know I would be concerned: Yellow flag.

If they sent it back to Roger for the work, I'd have zero concerns. Green flag.

3. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Well, now that you brought it up every lunatic Sadowsky lover (meant with the greatest love possible ;) ) on this forum will be bidding against you ....

4. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I think the real questioin is: how much do you like it?

Neck swap aside, for the money that a Sadowsky commands, you should be patient enough to make sure you get everything you want in one. I've seen quite a few around the net for that price.

5. gwreid

gwreid

Apr 8, 2005
    Utah
    I'm in no hurry Dave but I thought that this was a reasonable price. And, Pointbass, I thought about alerting everyone but I suspect the serious guys are always on the lookout and will have already seen this one which, by the way is currently priced at $2,250. JimS, I'm pretty sure the previous owner would have done it himself... I would have. With a bolt on neck on two of the same type of guitar I don't see any super craftsmanship being needed. Maybe a little final adjustment at the bridge and the truss rod but people are doing that to their basses all the time.

I was more wondering if such a move is seen as devaluing the bass. It obviously would on a real vintage Fender but on a newish Sad? I don't know.

p.s. to JimS... I like your by-line. That pretty much sums me up but heavier on the skiing. Maybe 50% 25% 25%

6. True. But if somehow if it's a botched job or affected the neck pocket; if it's not tight....

Right on bro'. I should change it ....DONE. I just can't get enough off-piste and powder. Which explains why I managed to ski three days on July 4th and will ski 7 days in August.

OK, back on track.....

7. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    As a non-owner (but admirer), I'd be somewhat hesitant to buy a Sadowsky that was not "original". I have always been led to believe that the magic in these basses comes from their intimate development as a matched unit when built (and obviously sprinkled with the Roger magic dust ;)), and I would think that taking individual Sadowsky components and putting them together yourself would somehow mess with that mojo "magic". I'd probably feel better if Sadowsky did the switch, as Jim sort of suggested above, and in effect blessed the marriage of the components.

But, again, just my impressions as a non-club member :confused:

8. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds

I wouldn't.

9. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    I saw that NYC Sad on ebay and I think the pickups where changed also. You could get a new Metro for the price they are asking for a questionable NYC.

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Call or email the shop with the serial number of the bass and they should be able to tell you if they have done anything to the bass post its completion.

11. gwreid

gwreid

Apr 8, 2005
    Utah
    When I asked for a phone number to discuss, here is the reply I received. says a lot (everything) me thinks!!!

"Changing necks on Sadowsky NYC basses has absolutely nothing to do with the integrity, value, or performance of these basses. They are perfectly interchangable as stated in the listing. It's an NYC neck on an NYC body - and this is verified. If I would have bought it with the rosewood neck and sent it to the Sadowsky shop for a "once-over" and asked them to upgrade to the maple neck would I have lessed the value of the instrument? No way! As far as you getting a better level of confidence...The facts are exactly as represented in the listing and there is nothing I can add by talking directly to anyone. The previous owner wanted a maple neck on the maple body and a rosewood neck on his jazz body. He provided both serial numbers at the time and they checked out for me. I thought I had saved them but somewhere in cleaning out files they were lost. I can provide the previous owner's eBay I.D. if you want to ask him anything."

I wonder which Jazz body he removed a 24 fret neck from!!!

12. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Hi,

I just picked up my new Sadowsky through the bay just a litte more then what he's asking for that one. The one I picked up is pratically new, not a dent or scratch on it. I think considering that the neck was swapped should reduce his asking price about 15 to 20 percent. Good luck!

Bassconbeatz

13. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    For that money I would buy a Metro in my favorite color and wood type.

Dave

14. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    I too emailed the seller on Ebay. I will just say that I am very suspect and the correspondance was very cryptic and confrontational.

His price has also changed three times now.

I'd advise everyone to stay clear of this one.