1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

to buy or not to buy Rickenbacker 4001

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ariff, Oct 2, 2008.

1. ariff

ariff

Nov 28, 2007
    Lawrence KS
    I stopped by my local pawn shop today just to have a look around. And low and behold they have a Ric 4001 up for sale. This bass has some Frankenstein mods done to it. From what I could tell at a quick glance is as follows..

Missing original bridge PU and some EMG PU is in its place. This is a jetglo mid 70's bass. The pick guard is different mirrored type guard. The nut has been replaced the replacement is white not black. there are some extra toggle switches added and a different phono jack added as well in the pick guard. The original Ric-o-Sound jacks are still there. The bridge is lifting and missing the foam string muting stuff. One of the tuners is missing the tension screw. The bass plays well as to be expected and has your typical battle scars and scratches for a bass its age. I owned a 4003 about 10 years ago and sold it. I have regretted that decision ever since. So ever since then I have been on the look out for another Ric. I'd like to get her back to original specs, but not sure how much it would cost to do so. Anyhow here are some pics.

http://www.unknownstuntman.com/files/Ric/

Let me know what you think about what is under the bridge. This did not appear to look correct. But it also seems correct. Since there was black paint in the cracks of where it appears to have been routed out and different wood added. It also appears that there was a different bridge on the bass as well since there were a few different screw holes present. You can see in the pics that the bridge sits above the body of the bass about 1\4 inch. It appears this is due to the bridge its self. Like there should be counter-sunk holes to make the bridge sit flush

2. eli_ric

eli_ric

Aug 7, 2008
    winnipeg, MB
    how much is it? and do you have any pics of the entire bass?

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Somebody fill the route that the Ric tailpiece sit in ... it looks like it used to have a bad ass bridge on there ... it looks like a beater that still has some playing time left on it.

You could look into a hipshot replacement bridge. It looks Ric like but doesn't need the route. Also I would put a Ric pickup in the neck and remove the .0047 bass cut capacitor from the bridge pickup. I would replce the 500k ohm tone pots with 250k ohm pots. &0s rics with the original 8k ohm single coil pickups, and 250k ohm pots and no .0047 capacitor sound nice and warm and full but still have the single coil bite.

4. Can you post some pics of the whole bass?

5. I don't know how much it would cost, but you could definately make that thing roar

6. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    It'd be helpful if we knew the price.

If it's $100, jump on it. $1000, walk.

7. ariff

ariff

Nov 28, 2007
    Lawrence KS
    699.95 is the asking price. I was not allowed to take pictures of the entire bass. Since it was a pawn bass. I wish I could have though. Would there be a way to fix the bridge cavity? Could I remove the filler wood and get it back to original specs? I have never seen what these basses look like under the bridge from the factory. I might also add I'll be selling one of my two Ernie Ball StingRay's to fund this bass. I hate to part with the EB, but I have two so I'll still have one. Ironic enough the EB I'll be selling was the bass I traded my Old 4003 Ric for ;>)
    Thanks,

8. GregShadoan

GregShadoan

Sep 1, 2008
    Oregon
    ROFL ... They let you tear it apart in the hock shop, but wouldn't let you take a pic of the whole thing? Thats crazy.
    At 700 you really cant lose on that. What with the price of mid 70's RIC's these days.

9. ariff

ariff

Nov 28, 2007
    Lawrence KS
    I have done a bunch of thinking about this and I believe I have come to a decision. I think I am going to sell my stingray. And with the money earned on that sale I am going to start saving for a newer 4003 Rick. Or maybe even a brand new one. I'd really like a 4003 instead of a 4001. I like to play rounds and I do not want to worry everytime I change the strings if I am going to run into issues with tension and neck problems. I figure if I am going to spend the money on a Rick that I will keep for a very long time and most like pass on to my son when he is older. I should get a good one. Thanks so much for all your suggestions to help me make up my mind about this. Hope to be back in a short while with a new Rick! :>)