To buy or not to buy...THAT is the question

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by ClassicalDB, Apr 10, 2005.

1. ClassicalDB

ClassicalDB Guest

Apr 9, 2005
    Beverly Hills
    I have been playing classical double bass for a while now and feel it is time to upgrade. Though I can probably afford a decent upgrade, I just have no motivation. So what I am asking is does anybody have any ideas on why it would be a GOOD IDEA to purchase a new, quality double bass? Thanks for reading!
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
  3. ClassicalDB

ClassicalDB Guest

Apr 9, 2005
    Beverly Hills
    I don't play a Strunal and I can answer for myself thanks! :) Anyways I play a Holbein, it is a beginner bass which I've had for the past 7 years now. I do not know if I made it clear that I do badly want to upgrade but I need to be convincing to some people to get the money too. So because of that, I need some help on positive reasons to upgrade so that I can receive the $ to upgrade myself. I mean who doesn't wanna upgrade?
  4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I did a little research on your bass before I posted, as you have it listed in your profile, and it is a Strunal that is produced for Sam Ash as far as I was able to figure out. As no one has likely heard of a Blostein bass, I thought that I'd help out.

Kinda sorry that I went to the effort now. My hum'blest apologies for butting earlier in with my inane ramblings.
  5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    You know the saying -- "No good deed goes unpunished."

6. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    It sounds to me like you should suck it up and make teh $$ you need to get the bass you want like the rest of us. BS'ing out excusses to butter people up for cash rarely works. You just joined- Ray is a well respected and experienced player- we don't like it when you blatantly disrespect very respectable folks, particularly after they try and help.
  7. Savino

Jun 2, 2004
    If I was playing the first bass I owned for 7 years I wouldn't be playing anymore. No disrespect but hey, I call em as I see em. So do most of the cats here. If we lied to each other, this place would suck ass.
  8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    CLASSICAL DB - I've edited your reply to Ray so that it appears more polite than it did initially. I think that in general, you'll find it's not a terribly bright move to insult and berate those you seek advice from. In addition, what you initially posted was definitely a violation of the TB Forum Rules. You would do well to give them a careful perusal so that we don't run into this kind of misunderstanding again.

About your question: it would be a lot easier to offer advice if you would include basic information about the bass you own, what you do and don't like about it, the price range you paid, and the price range you have in mind for the upgrade instrument you're considering. If you want meaningful and informative answers, you need to ask meaningful and informative questions. Try asking your question in a more detailed way.

Last, we all need to keep in mind that it can be difficult walking into a hang full of strangers and finding the right tone to take. We were all newbies here once. Carry on, and remember, DURRL be watching :eyebrow: . Please report any foolishness to Jon or myself should any occur. :ninja:
  9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    You would probably find the tone of a carved bass or even a carved-top bass more pleasing. Especially under the bow.
  10. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Ok, now that peace has been restored, you should know ClassicalDB (Name?.. we all have a real one) that there is a wealth of un-selfish imformation here on TB and it's all FREE.

My *"word" to you is this, A beginner Bass like the one you have can only hurt you in time as you develop bad habits trying to compensate as you attempt to advance your studies. Bad habits cost more time and money to correct than learning the right way to begin with. "Haste makes Waste" applies big time here.

*My "word" has been respected and paid for by many for over 30 years. This is your 'freebie'.

PS. The age in your profile may actually help some answer your questions. Your actual day of birth may get you a card but I wouldn't keep my fingers crossed on