Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To buy, or not to buy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassfacekevin, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Ok guys, here's the deal: I had a tenative deal going on with another TB'er about a trade, but unfortunately, I believe that, that has fallen through. I am not too dissapointed, however, as I have now been bitten by the 6 string bug. I was in Guitar Center, and I laid my eyes upon a beautiful carvin 6 string. It has the standard neck though, HB/SC config. Beautiful blonde flame maple body, with walnut/maple neck. I played it for about an hour, and loved the substantial feeling of the neck in my hands, and now that I'm back in the real world, the 4 string is too wimpy, and just dosen't have the tonal options I crave now.... I am a smaller dude, 5'6", with smaller hands (shut up) but I feel that I am dexterous enough to be able to make the 6 work... After my initial trepiditions about spending so much for a block of wood, I got over myself and am seriously considering pulling the trigger. So I was wondering A)if anyone out there who jumped from a 4 to a 6 can give me any advice/ warnings and B) should I drop about 926 (out the door, with prob. a free 12' monster cable to seal the deal) for this bass? I have heard very mixed reviews on these basses. The neck was great, with low action (in guitar center, I KNOW!!) It sounded great, even when I plugged it into a crate (for reference, because they set up all these mesa walkabouts and ampeg amps, which will make a lot of crap sound good) Basically, I am just looking for input on this decision, because I am a broke college student, and I am hoping this purchase is going to be the last one for a while, because I am tired of having to sell my stuff/mind/body/soul for bass stuff. Thanks

~K

2. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    Everyone's 6 string bug is getting satisfied but mine... :meh: :)

Sounds good to me dude. Less than a grand.

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The resale value of Carvins doesn't seem to be that great. $926 for a used Carvin 6-string seems high to me. Also, although it takes more materials to make a 6-string bass, the demand is not as great, so supply and demand reflect on the value of the bass as well...