To buy, or not to buy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassfacekevin, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Ok guys, here's the deal: I had a tenative deal going on with another TB'er about a trade, but unfortunately, I believe that, that has fallen through. I am not too dissapointed, however, as I have now been bitten by the 6 string bug. I was in Guitar Center, and I laid my eyes upon a beautiful carvin 6 string. It has the standard neck though, HB/SC config. Beautiful blonde flame maple body, with walnut/maple neck. I played it for about an hour, and loved the substantial feeling of the neck in my hands, and now that I'm back in the real world, the 4 string is too wimpy, and just dosen't have the tonal options I crave now.... I am a smaller dude, 5'6", with smaller hands (shut up) but I feel that I am dexterous enough to be able to make the 6 work... After my initial trepiditions about spending so much for a block of wood, I got over myself and am seriously considering pulling the trigger. So I was wondering A)if anyone out there who jumped from a 4 to a 6 can give me any advice/ warnings and B) should I drop about 926 (out the door, with prob. a free 12' monster cable to seal the deal) for this bass? I have heard very mixed reviews on these basses. The neck was great, with low action (in guitar center, I KNOW!!) It sounded great, even when I plugged it into a crate (for reference, because they set up all these mesa walkabouts and ampeg amps, which will make a lot of crap sound good) Basically, I am just looking for input on this decision, because I am a broke college student, and I am hoping this purchase is going to be the last one for a while, because I am tired of having to sell my stuff/mind/body/soul for bass stuff. Thanks

2. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    Everyone's 6 string bug is getting satisfied but mine... :meh: :)

Sounds good to me dude. Less than a grand.
  3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The resale value of Carvins doesn't seem to be that great. $926 for a used Carvin 6-string seems high to me. Also, although it takes more materials to make a 6-string bass, the demand is not as great, so supply and demand reflect on the value of the bass as well...