Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To buy.. Or not to buy...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Microbass, May 19, 2003.

1. Hey guys, browsing through ebay, I found this Yahama bass, I can't remember the model number, but I have played this type or one like it. This is practically identical to the bass at our school!

Now, this is a fretless, and I have been GASing for a fretless for a few months. As long as the auction stays under £100, I may consider it.. But I'd like your opinions.

The action is very nice, on the bass at school, with a new set of strings it'd be pretty sweet. The model at school is a fretted...

Your thoughts?

oops, linky!
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2530522045&category=4713

2. Sounds good to me. I was going to say that a bass with only a P pickup doesnt make as good a fretless(IMO) than one with a bridge pickup, but then I saw the auction. If you want it then get it, it's pretty cheap anyways.

3. Ben_P

Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
    Its a RBX 260. I didn't notice that he had added that bridge pickup.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    fretless P basses sound killer to me... but the Jazz in the bridge is a good addition. I owned a mid 90s Yamaha unlined fretless with a p pickup. It was a great little bass! I grabbed it to cash in a 'in store credit' at a place I hated to deal with with the idea of selling it to recover my cash... but I kept it for almost a year before I sold it to a student.

5. I don't think he added the J pup, tbh. The bass at our school has the P/J setup. Mind you, I've never seen any other Yamaha's like this!

thx for your opinions. :)

6. Ben_P

Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
    The RBX 260 only has a P pickup and if thats what the model is then he did add it. On the other hand the RBX 270 does have P/J pickups so it could be either one.