Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To buy, or not to buy

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by aleyman, Jun 22, 2003.

1. aleyman

aleyman Guest

Nov 1, 2002
    PA
    Well, i'm obviously a beginner. I'm playing a squier Affinity and a 15 watt amp. This was all fine and good when it was just me and 2 people playing light guitar. But then i had some electrical problems, and i've got a bit of a buzzing problem. So i was saving for a 5 string, when all of a sudden we get a drummer. Obviously playing a 15 watt amp with two people on guitar and somebody on drums is a problem. I'm not old enough for a job (but i am old enough to be on here). I've got anywhere between $200-$300. So my question is, new amp? or new bass?

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, and i am sorry for spelling errors.

2. Bigger amp.

Provided, I never had this experience personally. I always jammed with friends at school, and they had an amp big enough for me to be heard there. Now that I'm in college, I bought myself an SWR Workingman's 15 for all purposes. Hopefully I can get a band going next year, and we can start getting gigs, if even only free ones at the campus coffee shop.

3. SkaKing27

SkaKing27

Sep 1, 2002
    St.Louis MO
    AMP.All the way.

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Definately a new amp!

Your bass is still good, your amp is the bottleneck right now.

As a general rule a bass player should have four times the wattage of a guitar player.

If your guitar player has 100w, a 400w amp would be very good. But you could still get away with a 200-300W amp.

It takes alot more power to pump out those low frequencies so you have to have more power then the guitarist.

5. aleyman

aleyman Guest

Nov 1, 2002
    PA
    Really? 4 times?
    This presents a problem...he has his mind set on a 100 watt, but i don't think there is anyway i could afford a 400 watt. Unless there's a 400 watt amp for $200? What can that even get me? I wish i could get a job, even just till i have enough...
    Thanks for the opinions, any more help would be appreciated.

6. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    a new amp.i have a hot rodded squier that i gig with so its not all the bass.what i learned is that "its better to have a good amp w/ a low end bass, than a low end amp w/ a good bass".amps can make a world of difference in sound.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    To buy, or not to buy

The correct answer to this question will always be "buy."

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Two and a half times has always been good for me. Pushing 240 watts against my guitarists 100 watt Marshall half stack, I never have too much of a problem.

If he's still too loud, kick him. :smug: