1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

To buy or to mod?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Uche_bass, Sep 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Buy that badass pj

39 vote(s)
    84.8%
  2. Mod your p bass

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  1. Uche_bass

Uche_bass

Jul 31, 2017
    Argentina
    So, I've been saving a bit and now I´m thinking... Should I mod my current (and only) p bass (which is a beautiful sunburst) or buy a second bass (A pj, all black, bad-ass)? I´m sure that I can still mod both of them down the road, but I want to know if it´s better to have a second bass or to mod this one first; in your opinion. Thanks all!!

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    Fender basses?

Pics?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  3. tlc1976

tlc1976

Aug 2, 2016
    Michigan
    What do you do? Do you just play at home, or do you play music for money? If you've got paying gigs then I think having a backup bass is important.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    I suggest an Ibanez active/passive PJ with a 3 band eq. Lots of tones. Mine has dead half-rounds. Balance pot, Pick, palm muting, plucking, it can do a lot. No modding required.

5. packrat

packrat Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    Buy. Used. Resale!

Sav'nBass, design, mikewalker and 2 others like this.
  6. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Keep the pbass stock, get new or used PJ bass.
    Squier VM PJ is great value of money.

jaybones, reddog, design and 2 others like this.
  7. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    Don't mess with a P Bass, they are perfect the way they are.

Also, a PJ would not be my second choice.
    I have found adding a J pickup to a Precision Bass is not an improvement.
    I would rather have any of these basses over a P+J bass...
    Peavey Patriot, Peavey Foundation, Peavey Dyna, Peavey T-40, Peavey T-20, Peavey T-45, Fender Jazz Bass, EBMM Stingray, Epiphone Jack Casady, most Warwicks, most Spectors, Ibanez ATK, most G&L's, Yamaha Attitude, Yamaha BB714BS, Gibson EB13.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  8. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    https://www.talkbass.com/threads/volume-drop-from-turning-both-pickups-all-the-way-up-on-jazz-bass-why.975657/

I'm dealing with this right now with a GZR PJ set in a Spector.
    I'm used to it, but you may not know about this phenomena.

In my case I'm running vol-vol instead of a blend.
    I use only the P, so I'm not planning on adding a blend.

I'd throw in a nice passive P pickup and call it a day.
    DiMarzio Area P is good and cheap.
    EMG Gzr is good, probably what I'd suggest bc it'll be the easiest install.
    Duncan is good.
    Nordstrand is good.
    Fralin is good.
    Depends on the sound you want.
    A preamp can color a pickup to perfection, ruin it, or make no real difference. What a preamp does is also up to you.

If you must rout your bass out, I really like a musicman humbucker with a P. Find something 4-conductor so you can play with series-single-parallel.

Zoobiedood and brianmharrison like this.
  9. +1

10. packrat

Mar 6, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    Opinions of pj vary, but it s good advice to consider a second bass which is more distinct to your current bass.

B>

11. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
  12. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I am pbass fans, but I love my Cort Arona IV very much which come with Single Coil neck pup + Humbucker bridge pup made by Delano.
    Tone is absolutely sweeter and transparent than few jazz bass I own before. The solo neck pup sound like 51p single coil pup vibe too.

13. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    HOW did you plan to mod your pristine sunburst Precision??

14. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Full disclosure…I'm a modification junkie. However, that does not mean I'm unaware of the pitfalls of radically altering an instrument that works perfectly as-is. If your Precision works great for you, don't modify it in ways that are permanent. You run the risk of ruining something that is dependable and reliable.

If it's a simple changing of the pickups, bridge, tuners, etc…, that's reversible and you can always put the original parts back (…then you must apologize to the instrument for ever doubting it! :sorry::oops:). If you're interested in exploring the sonic capabilities of a P/J bass, there are zillions of options to look for…P-Bass Specials, Japanese-made Aerodynes and Jazz Bass Specials, American Deluxe Precisions and so on and so forth.

All that being said, if the urge to tinker, modify and make an instrument into something unique is that strong, I'd suggest getting an inexpensive bass, a Squier Affinity or something like that, to experiment with. :thumbsup:

Pbassmanca and jamro217 like this.
  15. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    Malak the Mad is correct.........

he is a modification junkie :laugh::laugh:

And i think I've caught the bug too. I'm currently in the process of selling the only non modified bass i own. :roflmao:

16. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    Don't change a thing on the P Bass, especially if it's sunburst. Wait a minute, add a tortoise pickguard if it doesn't have one IMG_1385.JPG

twinjet and Pbassmanca like this.
  17. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    This is TalkBass where the mantra is 'you can't have too many basses'.

jaybones, Bodeanly and Pbassmanca like this.
  18. packrat

Mar 6, 2017
    Sydney, Australia
    Precision bass, so awesome, it's what all your basses say?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  19. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    Consider both. In my opinion every musician who can get and afford a quality instrument for under $1000, regardless to what they play even if they are just playing at home, should ba e at least two instruments.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  20. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    As long as Murphy is alive, you needed a backup! You don't have to go overboard like me, but go ahead and get a backup for that P before you do any modding!

davedblyoo likes this.