Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To Capo or not to Capo

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by po3t, Jul 30, 2002.

1. po3t

po3t

Jul 24, 2002
    Marion, NC
    Has anyone ever try to use or just used a capo to play bass and if so how did it work?

note: I am assuming the use of a capo is not common practice.

2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I use a capo at the 1st fret and my finger at the 12th when I'm checking the relief of my neck during setup. other than that, no reason to.

3. I've tried it a few times, just to see what happened. Worked fine.

The only reason I can imagine to use a capo on bass is if you are using a partial capo to change the available open strings without affecting the tuning. You get different natural harmonics that way.

Maybe if you are a big chords player, it might be more useful.

4. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    There's a picture of the Buddha at www.accugroove.com
    playing a nine-string bass, at about the 20th fret of the 9th string. WITH A CAPO ON THE THIRD FRET.
    Remember when people used to think bass guitars were supposed to be for playing low notes? I don't :D

5. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I don't think that's a capo that Dickens is using, I think it's one of those hair bands that some players use on basses with lots of extra strings. I'm not sure why they do that but it may be to help mute all those open strings.

6. it's a hairband...i use one sometimes (on the first fret) when i slap to make it sound cleaner...things don't ring as much but don't try to play any open notes ;)