Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

to combo or not...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Purs, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Purs

Purs

Feb 20, 2002
    Texas
    I've decide to go with Eden, just can't decide which way to go, here's what I think I want....

WT-400 head
    D210-xlt

or

DC210-xlt Metro combo

Am I losing alot of quality and sound if I go with the combo? Also, with this Eden stuff, would I benefit from a Sans Amp DI or not? thank you.

2. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Not really that different but personally i would go for the WT-400 and 210XLT!!!! More versatile!!

3. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I would have to agree. The combo is pretty much the same, but I if you buy a head and a cab separate, you have the advantage of adding on another cab, and you don't have to carry as much weight at once. :)

4. lowfreqman

lowfreqman

Aug 18, 2001
    behind a bass
    The head in the Metro is much more flexible than the WT400. It has two preamp sections (one solid-state, one tube), each with its own effects loop. It can run 600W at 2ohm (you can add 3 more 8 ohm cabs), while the WT400 can handle only 400W at 4ohm (you can only add one more 8ohm cab beyond the 2x10). Personally, I think you get more for your money with the combo. The only disadvantage to the combo is that you cannot carry it as two pieces. Yet, I have had mine for a year and have not had a problem.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sound-wise, it's about even-steven. I'd go with the separates for the reasons stated by AJ, but you CAN add a cab to the Metro, and it'll put out 600 watts at 2 ohms. With the head, you could do this.

[​IMG]

6. Purs

Purs

Feb 20, 2002
    Texas
    that's a very cool setup. thank you for the replies. Has anyone used the wedge setup D-210MBX? Does it sound as good as the 210-xlt?

7. hey munji- which do you like better- your 210+115 xlt's or your 410xlt?

I would go seperates. That way you can turn the 210 on it's side to hear it better. Unless you prop it diagonally. You can also trade out the head or cab for something new if you get sick of it. But I doub't you will. And you can't add a tuner/power distibuter/compressor/etc. onto the combo without looking funky.
    Unless you only play small places, or only use your amp as a monitor, or you don't play gigs and won't for a while... I would get a bigger rig. Maybe a 410xlt, two 210xlt's, or a 210xlt+115xlt. Any of those cab combinations will be sweet with a wt400. And the 210xlt's make a great stack on their sides. ;)