to compliment NE yamaha EQ

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by furiously funky, May 24, 2003.

1. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    i have a NE signature EQ im my Yamaha BB605. right now it has regular yamaha pups in it. what better pups would comliment this eq. what does everyone think of the eq? should that go too??
  2. I have a Yamaha BBN5 II, (very similar to your's) that I bought two years ago. It has stock Yamaha pups as well, but, I actually like their sound. These pups sound like stock Fender MIM Jazz bass pups, but, with much more growl. If I wanted to replace them I'd probably go with some type of humbucker, since I prefer these over single coils.
    Your bass has Fender-type pickups I believe. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably go with DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pups. They're not too hard to find, and a lot of people seem to like them.

As for the NE-1 EQ - I have the outboard version, and absolutely love it. I'd recommend it to anybody. I use it with most of my basses. Excellent tone modifier. You have it built in? You're ahead of the game, IMHO.

Just curious: How do you like the feel/playability of your bass?

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You're thinking backwards changing ANYTHING to complement an EQ! The whole purpose of EQ is to complement everything ELSE :rolleyes:

I assume you don't like the pickups, so what don't you like about them.
  4. Hmmm....I borrowed an NE1 outboard unit and decided I liked the suggested "Nathan East setting" best. However, I discovered that with only a little twiddling I could duplicate that sound without using the NE1. I use an Eden WT400 head, SWR cabs (pre-Fender...LOL!)and a Jazz with J-retro. This leads me to conclude that the NE1 is a good unit for spicing up inferior gear, but it's uses are limited with good gear.