Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To Compress or Not to Compress?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MMStingRay, Oct 29, 2004.

1. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    supported by Hipshot, Diamond strings and Clayton picks
    I planning on getting a QSC1450 power amp and using the Sansamp (bass tube) pre amp. BBE pre amp has a compressor but the Sans doesn't. What would a compressor do for my? Should I run a compressor and if so how do I dial it in.

2. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    It took me a very long time to appreciate compressors but now I can't live without it. It does three things for me. Firstly, it provides a noticeable "punch" to the tone.That is a very desireable characteristic for me. Secondly, it helps balance the string to string volume. And third, it puts a smooth veneer over the entire tonal spectrum. That is particularly useful if you have a very "accurate" BG or amp (or both).
    However, moderation is the key. Over compressing can be a tone killer.

3. I use an old guitar compressor pedal and I can't always make my mind up... It does a great job of evening out string volume and for that I love it. It also adds alot of sustain to the notes which I love but it adds a little extra back ground noise into the equation that I don't like. I find the results from it more desirable than any of the higher end compressors i've tried though. I just can't make my mind up about the hum.

4. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    Right now I'm the foot pedal Sansamp and a Peavey 4C (until I up grade)
    But I have a dbx 266xl compressor, what settings should a use..?

5. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I've messed with tons of settings and compression angles and options, and honestly... there is only one way I got the sound and setup I wanted...

I run an s-com plus right on the way in. Leave the compressor section on auto, then use the limiter to cut down the louder finger style, so when I strum and slap, all of that is also right there and at the same volume. Then route back out to my pre. Every other way I tried just didn't get the results I wanted, or just made it sound squished. So I think really the limiter was the key.

Food for thought?

Troll

6. I personally don't like compression on my bass. I also don't like effects in my bass sound- FWIW...

7. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    Now that Golden Boy has, for some unknown reason, let us all know were he stands, lets get back to topic.

If you run a compressor, what's the best way to set it up?

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Here's the way I set mine up.

Set the threshold to about -10 dB.
    Set the ratio to about 4 - 6.
    If you have an attack knob, set it to about 35 msec.
    If you have a release knob, set it to about 150 msec.

OK, now. Depress the "bypass" button. Leave it there.

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    :)

I see a lot of bass players devling into compression because it's the percieved thing to do. But in you original post, you were unsure of exactly what a compressor does. That, to me, suggests you don't need one. By all means, experiment. But don't feel as though you MUST run a compressor because many bass players don't. If it turns out you don't like it, that's OK! If it turns out you absolutely love it, that's also OK..........

10. Just because I'm good and liquored up, and I have nothing better to do than get pissed at what someone posted 2 frickin' years ago...

The title of the frickin' thread is "To Compress or Not to Compress?"

You came up with the title- not me.

11. I've got a compressor in my rack but it isn't hooked up.

12. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I have a love / hate relationship with compressors.
    I love the volume evening, but I usually don't like
    the affects on the tone.

In my book - more necessary when recording, less necessary when playing live.

13. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Rub it in. I'm still at work for the next 45 minutes, and I have a bottle of Knob Creek calling my name back at the house.

14. DAcat

DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    +1 DAcat...:cool:

15. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    No way. Period.

16. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    haha, 2 years...hilarious

17. D-Bone

D-Bone

Jul 5, 2006
    I find that a good tube amp (or at least a tubed pre-amp) and good right-hand dynamics will go a long way in NOT needing as much compression. Tubes give a natural compression anyway and sound better to me. You just can't clamp the signal too tight and expect it to sound like you want it.........

18. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Wow, 2 years... you really hold a grudge. Beware of drunk dialing! :bag:

19. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU
    Yes, since I have a tube in my preamp, I use the compressor less than before.
    Always used on a slight amount of it, about 1:3, maybe less, because the more even volume, AND the more even tone.
    But really, the tube does it's job a very good way..

anyway, I like the "dual band" setting on my EBS multicomp. especially for slap. I think, there's no way to achieve THAT slap sound without a compressor.. but technique matters, of course, and there are superb slap sounds without comp, too.