Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To compress or Not to Compress

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by iriegnome, Mar 9, 2005.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Well I just replaced all of my speakers with Jorg Schroeder 1212 and a Mini 12 and soon a 21012. My Rig consists of a SWR Bass 750
    TC Electronics Triple C Mono Compressor
    Korg DTR1 Tuner
    Furman PL8

:help: With using such tight speakers should I still use my compressor? If so, at what capacity? I was using the compressor before to control the SWR Big Ben 18 and the SWR Goliath II. Now, the compressor seems a little on the over kill side since the 12's are much more in control than the 18. I know the whose its and whatfors of compressors, but in this, I really could use some help.
    By the way I use setting 13 with a little boost for the compressor.

2. With that amp, and your speakers, I think the decision should come down to your technique. Do you constantly change from a smooth fingerstyle to a slap style or do you use a pick? If your attack and note intensity are constantly fluctuating, then a compressor would be beneficial, even with that rig.

Since you have the compressor, just dork around with it for awhile. I think you'll find where it helps and/or hurts your sound.

3. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I use my fingers only. I do have attack plans and I bridge the gap between 3 drummers and 3 guitarists! Play Play Play, Adjust Adjust Adjust

4. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I agree with Mo' for the most part, but wish to add a bit.

I have thousands into my rig, so I bought a dBX 160x simply for speaker protection. Now you may not need it, but since you have the pedal, why not utilize it? I don't really think one can be too careful in that area when you have a lot of money into it.

That aside, I see that you don't use a lot of effects, but if you ever do the compressor would be good to use. If not, maybe you can use it if you ever decide to try fretless.
    Sorry, but I've sold too many things in the past and have suffered from the "Doh!" factor when a situation arises and I need it again.

Ted

5. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    But, because of the 12's, should I look at setting at a higher compression or lesser compression. what type of ratio? That type of thing?
    :help:

6. Use your ears. We can't tell you what will sound good. You won't hurt your gear, so all I can say is try it out, you do still own the compressor, right?

7. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Yeppers I do. Fooled around with it last night. I think that I have a pretty good tone. I will find out on Saturday night!