Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To Corvette or not to Corvette

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lambofgod814, Oct 12, 2005.

1. let me start off by saying Ryan Martinie is my favorite person in the history of the world in anything (next to myself of course :p )

i am a teenager who had played guitar for about 4 years but a couple months ago i borrowed my uncles bass and have been playing nothing but bass since (but last night i learned nemesis by arch enemy on guitar but at least im honest about it)

that being said i dont have a job at the time but have several applications out but even then my budget will be somewhat limited

i played a warwick corvette and it is without a doubt the best bass i have ever played save a thumb

should i save my money and get the warwick or try to get a decent bass sooner such as a spector or a schecter?

and if i do save my money to get a warwick is the quality and tone of a thumb (i.e. Martinie's tone) worth the extra few hundred or will a Vette be just as good

and, to settle a dispute with an aquaintance of mine, are warwicks american made or not

Thanks in advance,
    Jay

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Warwick = Made in Markneukirchen, Germany.
    The Thumb has it's unique tone, which the Corvette can't exactly pin down, but it gets close enough; also, the Corvette is more versatile.
    Try to look around on the used market. I've seen or heard about Corvette 4s in good condition going for $500 or even less.

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I love my Vette (it's a 6 and a 5)...it came with two interchangable necks, bridges and tailpieces....

My Vette is a neckdiver (to me a thumb would be even worse)...I have to play with the neck going at a 45 deg angle...this is just the way I have to play (my arms, wrists and hands are built this way..it's also the reason I have to play lefty :( )....for others it works out just fine.... :)

So for me the neck dive and the inability to reach the highest note on the fretboard are things you may want to look into...if these issues don't bug you - get the bass! I really like the sound of Warwicks. :)

Good luck!

4. i should have specified i was undecided on getting a five or four

anyone who has any experience with either the vette or thumb if 4 or 5 please share

and thanks for proving my point frank

5. More neckdive on 5 vs. 4....You'll find plenty of reviews on these babies...i'd surf around and maybe ask a more specific questions after that (lots of recordings to listen to, you seem to listen to metal, lamb of god and archenemy = warwick, and between the buried and me = spectre)....

How important is the bass to you (more than likely just a gas attack..)? Will your uncle let you gig with the borrowed bass? If not the only pressing matter would be your own desires for that sound really...

If you're on a tight budget I don't forsee just going out and getting this bass right away. You might as well as wait and save up another couple of months and let the GAS set in before spending that kind of money (especially if you're tight on it).... plus in this time you can go to the stores and try different 'vettes and thumbs, get to know their feel and EQ possibilities and limitations. I'd also recommend you try out other warwick models too if you love both the 'vette and thumb if you can...

EDIT: it is also my opinion no guitar is created equally 2 situations:

i had 3 fretless 'vettes at the store to choose from when i was shopping, the one i choose was clearly superior.

I also had 3 2004 FNA Jazzman's too choose from when i wasn't shopping, but 1 was perfect and ended up buying it anyways (without the money either.. so maybe this wasn't the best story to tell.... :rolleyes: )

6. Jackbass

Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    The corvette proline model is a really great bass!

7. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    I would definately spend the extra $$$ and get a corvette proline.

8. thanks everyone especially unatratnag that was a very helpful post

this may sound nooby but what is neck dive

9. tbitsky

tbitsky

Apr 15, 2005
    I just went through the Warwick connundrum myself, so I feel your pain. :)

By neck dive, they mean that, when they play standing up, they feel that they have to hold up the neck while they play it; the general complaint seems to be the neck "dives" on people on the higher frets. I wear the bass pretty high and didn't have a dive problem, but I've only played a couple of them. I think people complaining of neck dive are wearing the bass rather low.

I tried the Corvette, and liked it. It seems people who buy the Corvette tend to upgrade to the Thumb or other Warwick at some point in the future, although there are certainly people who stick with it. I wanted to buy one and be done with it, so I tried a Thumb Bolt-On. I felt the tone, feel, and fit of the Thumb was superior, and I can see why people upgrade. Is it worth the extra money? I felt so.

It's generally better to buy the "right" piece of gear, the one you like, the first time. Buying temporary equipment gets expensive -- you shell out $600 for the temporary piece, then a year later pop another $1500 for the one you want. If you had just bought the one you wanted in the first place, you would have saved $600!

You can get a brand-new Thumb from basscentral.com for $1199; at least, that's what he offered me. If you prefer the Thumb, get the Thumb. If you're really dreaming of a spector or a schecter, save (for awhile) and get that.

10. im really starting to think the thumb is definitely the way to go especially considering how great it sounded when i played it at gc(i played through the smallest amp they had and the sales clerk looked at my like i was insane)

thanks for all the advice and keep it coming

Jay