1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

To crossover or not

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zoran, Mar 24, 2009.

1. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    I have Aguilar gs410 cab which is great sounding cabinet but for bigger bottom end I borrowed 1x18" sub just to check how it sounds paired to 4x10". And i was surprised how much bottom end it added. But now my question is:

To buy 1x18" sub with built-in crossover because I really want to send all signal in aguilar not just highs?

Or, put active crossover in chain signal and find a sub without crossover and then send highs in aguilar 410 and lows to 1x18"

I will running it with glockenklang preamp and QSC plx2402, and it's just for my personal monitoring.

2. You will get a lot more volume and efficiency from your GS410 if you only run your mids and highs through it. I would stick a crossover between the Glockenlang and the QSC, run the QSC in stereo, and go from there. That will give you easier adjustability.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    A crossover might make things a bit better, but don't go too high. I wouldn't go higher than 150 Hz. This is a case where a gradual slope, 6 or 12dB, would work better than the typical 18 and 24dB used for PA.

4. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    + 1 to BFM's gradual taper.