Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To cry or not to cry

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SKB, Jan 17, 2002.

1. SKB

SKB Guest

I finally have money to spend but its not a lot. I was wondering what you guys thought of the Jim Dunlop Cry baby Bass Wah. Is it a pedal worth paying $100 for?

2. Big Boys and Bassists' don't cry...
    however, guitarist do.

3. Get an evenlope filter instead they're better for bass than wah pedals are IMO.

4. i agree... i don't think a bass wah is very useful. get an envelope filter if you must. check out the electo-harmonix bassballs at www.buzzfox.com to get an idea of what it sounds like. i have one, the sound sample on that site is very accurate.

5. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I disagree. I highly recommend the Dunlop 105Q Bass wah (the white one). I use it a lot more than my EBS BassIQ filter because you have more control for more funky sounds. It probably depends on what you are looking for, but as far as bass wah pedals go, the dunlop 105Q us the best (especially since it has volume and Q knobs so you can tailor it for your bass). Plus it is switchless!!!
    -KB

6. i think the 105q is sweet... i play one in my band, and i keep the volume turned up, so whenever there's a really strong accent, i can hit the wah and accent that note or set of notes for that part of the song. and, when my foot speed is high, i can create some really tripped out "spiraling" sounds. it can also be used very slowly to create a really weird mood for parts of songs. i think it's awesome. but with any pedal, you shouldn't overuse it.