1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

To deep rack, or not to deep rack?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FalextheFalex, Dec 17, 2006.

1. So yeah, I'm in the market for a new rack because of some new aquired gear, I've got a GK 700RB head, a Furman M-8 conditioner, BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer, and a Behringer BTR2000 rack tuner. Would any of this stuff require a deep rack or would a standard do?

2. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    First of all, you're not really in the right section.

But to answer your question, figure out the deepest piece of gear you have. Either measure it or look for how deep it is on the manufacturer website. If you can fit it into a shallow rack, use that. If not, get something deep enough to fit it.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I agree. I'll move it to Misc now.

4. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    I have that stuff except the amp. It will easily fit in the shallow rack - dunno about the amp. I am moving to a shallow amp because of the balance. All this stuff really is balanced to the front, and it makes carrying the deep case difficult. It's easy enough to find mounting depth on the website though - check there first, and that should give you the answer.

From here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/GallienKrueger-700RBII-Bass-Head?sku=482587
    The depth is 8"

From here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gator-Mini-Shallow-Rack?sku=544846
    Total rackable depth of 14.5"

Not sure if this is the exact head though; but it looks like an easy fit into a shallow case.

5. Alright, cool. Sorry, thought I was putting it in the right section.

6. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I have my 2001RB in a Gator Shallow Rack (3-space). The amp is about 10.5" deep (website says 12", but that's because of the handles), and most other rack gear I've seen is that deep or less.

The smaller GK amps are even less deep. You'd be fine with a shallow rack on the Furman power conditioner and amp. Just double-check on the Sonic Maximizer and tuner's size specs, and make sure to review what the specs are for the rack case you're looking at.

With GK amps, you'll find that you can easily fit everything in a shallow rack. Other amps won't allow that sort of portable freedom.

I should point out that the Gator Shallow Racks have a little bit more depth than the SKB shallow racks, and the SKB shallow racks have an odd rear door. I'd take the Gator any day of the week, IMO.

7. SHALLOW!

I have a 1001RBII & a Korg DTR 1000 in a shallow SKB rack.
    I got a 4 space rack so I could leave 1 space between them as the air vent is on the top of the amp.

It all fits well & there's even plenty of room for putting in the power cables & speakons when I'm packing up.