Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To do or not to do: effects loop Peavey Mark IV with Sansamp BDDI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kilian., Oct 27, 2005.

1. OK I have the following setup right now:

Bass - sansamp - peavey Mark IV. I would normally DI from the Sansamp to the board and I use the sansamp to fatten up the peavey's growl.

I was thinking (after reading through a thread here) of putting my sansamp in the effects loop, so that I can send the tone of the sansamp + head to the board.

Discuss:
    - will 18 metre cable (to get this setup) give serious sound loss? I now use 12 metre.
    - will it be worth it to do so? I mean: would my tone be projected better on the audience or will they not even hear that?

I post it here, because more people read this after all. And it's more like amps/pre amps then effects ;)

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    My guess is the only high impedance cable run is from your instrument to your amp (if you have a passive bass). 18 metres should be OK...

As for your second question...try it and find out...let your ears decide.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah definitely try it, althou as i recall the effects loop is a pain as it uses a TRS cable for send/return.

overall, i would probably not bother doing it. the less junk you send your signal thru before hitting the board, the better. especially if you end up making eq adjustments on your amp for your stage sound. as a player and a soundman i can say that you generally get a better sound just going direct to the PA (but of course you have to hope that the Pa is good and the soundman is competent. Also, constantly changing EQ and signal level is a soundman's worst nightmare. be kind, give him or her a signal and leave it alone. ;)

4. ^^I think I'll leave the soundguys alone then. I don't want to try it if it becomes a nightmare for them. I've never heard myself in the crowd, but I suppose it sounds like a bass with a little bit of me in the bass.

I had thought it out a bit for myself, but when other people back that up: it's even better.

5. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Once you tweak your levels for the effects loop you'll be able to tell very quickly if you'll like it. As far as house feed, just ask the soundman if you can try something a little different, if he's in a good mood he'll say yes & will likely give you his opinion.