Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To Drill or Not to Drill?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FireBug, Nov 28, 2005.

1. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    As some of you may know, I recently aquired a '92 Streamer with a dead P pickup and a crapped-out preamp. I threw a Basslines Quarter Pounder in there with the other Basslines J and will be installing the Aguilar OBP-3.

My question is, should I have a pro (im not going to be responsible for screwing up a bass) drill a hole in the body for a switch for the selectable mids, or should I just save the trouble and go with a push/pull pot? I really like switches (who doesn't?).

By the way, I will have pictures soon. I know I said that last time, but things got crazy.

Also, should I wait for any after-holidays sales before buying the preamp? Thanks.

2. go with the push-pull pot, no question...

always steer towards reversible mods if you can help it.

3. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    Never thought of it that way since I plan on keeping it, but I guess you're right. It would also cost me less money.

4. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Well, I think the switch would be cooler, but as you and pilbara said, the push/pull pot would be cheaper and more easily reversed if you decide to change it for whatever reason.

I think I would go with the switch, personally.

5. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Streamer Stage I's have that P / J configuration. You could go with what the others mentioned for the EQ pots or you could even go with the dual pot. Top control treble bottom control bass...

I got into the Basslines STC-3A and STC-2A pre-amp tone circuits and those are NICE! good directions and many different options for setup with different basses.

My Thumb is getting a makeover with the STC-2A's and Basslines AJJ-1s in hopes to sound as good as my Streamer Stage 2