Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

to drive an epifani 3x10 (5.3ohm) model

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cwhitfield35, Apr 17, 2005.

1. cwhitfield35

cwhitfield35

Apr 10, 2005
    Media, PA
    any recomendations for amps/preamp-power amp to get the most out of an epifani 3x10? (750 watts at 5.3 ohms)

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Consider it like running a cab at 4 Ohms. Those impedance ratings are somewhat dynamic anyway...

They have excellent low end response and are pretty efficient but they can also take alot of power without flinching.

What kind of sound are you looking to get?
    Wht kind of music do you play with what kind of competition?
    What can you spend?

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Depends on the tone (&/or tonal diversity) you're after.

As far as power amps, Crown Macro-Tech MA-2402 or Crest CA9 (or QSC RMX1850HD if you're on a tight budget) if you don't mind a little extra weight.
    Otherwise, decent lighter weight power amps are the Stewart World 2.1 (or 1.6) or QSC PLX2402 (or PLX1602).

There's a wide range of tones available from various preamps and heads.
    You can spend a wide range on money also on different stuff.

If you tell us what monetary range you plan to invest and the type sound you are looking for, we could help narrow down your options.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    how much do you have to spend? i'm thinking you've got some breathing room, since you can afford the UL cab, so...

why not an epifani Quest II preamp and along with that Crest or Crown amp? Epi on Epi gear sounds incredible. heck, why not the Epifani power amp, too? hifi, smooth, clear, and very articulate tones.

my most favorite live tones to date are Matt Garrison's all Epifani rig at the last Bass Player Live conference, and Oteil Burbridge's "borrowed" Epi rig at the Bass Extremes show @ the Iridium. compared to the mostly Ampeg and Fender gear, time and again, the Epifani's juxtaposed against the those rigs were SOOOO much cleaner, detailed and articulate. the other rigs were blurry, indistinct, and quite frankly fatiguing to listen to.

a few weeks back, i tried an Aguilar DB750 w/ an NYC 310, and the tones were off the scale! tight punchie low end, with an airy open top end, and all the articulate detail these two can blast your way.

for something more affordable, Alembic preamps sound pretty righteous with Epifani cabs. my old F-1X was pretty darn sweet. that creamy, smooth, tubey tone was a nice match to the hifi Epi sound. no secret that Nick had an old old old F-1X at the shop to test drive his cabs before he had his own line.

these days for me, nothing beats a Kern IP-777, which is like an alembic on hifi steriods. tones are thick, juicy, fat, yet very articulate with the twist of the "tone" knob.

btw, try Bass Tasters. listen closely to the clips, and you might find a sound that'll complement the tone you're hearing from your Epi cabs.

5. OBBM

OBBM

Jan 26, 2005
    Surrey, UK
    +1.

For example I run through a BBE BMAX-T or an Alembic F-1X to one channel of a QSC PLX1602 into a UL310 and it sounds superb. To date I have never run out of volume or headroom. If I found I needed more headroom then I'd run the QSC in bridged mode - I carry the cable in my gig bag.

6. cwhitfield35

cwhitfield35

Apr 10, 2005
    Media, PA
    i play the entire gambet of musical styles. the sound i prefer is old school warmth with modern clarity. my main bass is a modulus flea v with villex jazz pickups. my budget is somewhat limited right now around $600. i plan to trade in my swr 350 though. this might add a few dollars to the pot. i guess my main problem is volume. my tone usually comes from my basses and my hands.
    thanks

7. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    $600 + the $300 or so your 350 will fetch can get you a pretty decent preamp and a QSC RMX1850HD if both are used and you don't mind the weight. That would be enough to knock out some fillings.

You might also want to look into EA's iamps. You might be able to find an iamp 800 for that kind of scratch and they are more than flexible enough to fit alomost any bill. Lots of power too!

Preamps you might want to look into are the Alembic F1X, Trace V-type, Ampeg, SVP CL, or SVP-Pro, BBE B-MaxT. You might also be able find an Aguilar 659 used around you budget but that might be pushing it. Any of them would probably fit what you're looking for... :cool:

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    For that amount of money, I'd possibly look for a 2nd hand RMX-1850HD and new or used BBE BMax-T (or BMax -- SS model) or a Tech21 SansAmp RBI.

I think new from Lord Valve or Northern Sound & Light the RMX-1850HD runs a fair bit under $500.
    www.riksmusic.com has really good prices on new BBE pre's.
    I think the RBI's are around $300 new.

I guess you could pull off all new stuff in the range if you got a decent price for your current amp.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    cool,

"old school warmth w/ modern clarity" is just the tone i can / could get with my Kern and old Alembic F-1X. i doubt you wouldnt be happy with either one. :cool: