Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To drop or not to drop (college problem...already)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Sep 2, 2005.

1. I just started school monday and I think I need to drop a course already. Accounting 2301 to be exact, and I'm doing it online.

I decided to take an online course so I can take a large course load (16 hours total - over the recommended mark) and also work four days a week. Now, I'm not an idiot, but I'm finding it impossible to teach myself accounting - yes, as crazy as it sounds.

The course is entirely online and our "professor" just grades our papers and will answer a few questions if we have them. I'm here doing the first weekly assignment and I'm already running into serious problems, and I'm not sure if I can do this for an entire semester. And then retain the knowledge I made myself learn for Accouting 2302 and get by that too.

Yeah, I might be able to finish this week's assigment (despite my struggling) and maybe a few more assignments - but if I'm having this much trouble already, I don't know if I can keep this up an entire semester.

So, do I stick it out and try and do this? Or just give up now and take a real in-class accounting course next semester? The main reason I hesitate doing this is because this will throw off my degree plan a bit, maybe even by an entire semester.

Any input appreciated.

-Jake

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    First, try to find someone local that you can get together with and study, and get help when you need it. Tutors are everwhere, and we're always glad to help. I personally took an accounting class though, so I can't help much.
    If that is not an option, then tell the teacher about your concerns. See if he/she is willing to find a way to help you out. I've had some professors even go one-on-one with me just to help me by.
    That's about all the advice I can offer ya. Unless you want to look into switching into a classroom accounting class for this semester if you can. You'd have to talk to probably Records and Registration at your college.
    Good luck!

-Ray

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Jake i would say give it alittel more time and grow into the course work, it just might work out for you. :)

4. Do what you gotta do, but understand that you are in college to better yourself. Your brain only wants to take in so much at a time, and the more comfortable it is, the better it will take in the information.

5. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Unless you absolutely can't afford college, schoolwork should come before part time jobs. I always used to laugh at my friend Pete who worked at the supermarket: had he spent his time practicing for the SAT and doing better in school, he would've made far more money in scholarships than he ever did working at Jack's IGA. I know I did: I put in a few hundred hours or so of studying and practice for the SAT. I could've spent that time with Pete working and I would've earned maybe $1,000 or so, but I improved my score a great deal and got $8,000 back in scholarships.

It's just something to think about. My father was very poor in college so he spent all of his time studying during the school year and worked as a substitute mailman for USPS during the summers. If you're just working to make money for fun stuff, you might even consider spending your free time taking more courses (say, during the summer). Since you probably plan on making more money in your career than you do now in your part time job, you can shave a year off the educational process by doing school work instead of whatever job you have.

I'm just throwing things out there. Most of my friends who work are doing it so they can afford alcohol, cigarettes, weed, guitars and things of that nature. If you actually need the money to pay tuition then by all means do it.

6. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    See if you can take any courses credit/no credit. For those tougher classes in the major program, this can give you a little breathing room (if your college accepts the C/NC option) without destroying your GPA in the process.

7. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    2301 as in financial accounting?
    what's the problem?

be specific.

8. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    Dont take any more classes then you need to. There's plenty of time to catch up on classes in the summer. Even if you think you can do it, you'll go crazy around mid-term time. Sometime WILL suffer, it's either your grades, your social life, or your sanity.

I took 5 classes (26 hours of school a week) and my gpa is 2.5.
    My friend took 3 classes (12 hours of school a week) and her gpa is 4.0. Neither of us worked.

9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    There's some great advice from Eric. I don't know your situation, but if you can sacrifice some immediate funds that would be obtained for unnessasary expenditures, then by all means do it. The pay off is going to be worth it in the long-run.

There's nothing wrong with dropping a class though, but if you're going to need it to fulfill the major, you are going to have to eventually take it.

I don't know if I would simply take the advice of playing "catch up during the summer". At my school, you aren't charged any additional tuition after taking more than 12 hours worth of credits per semester. Summer courses are great (I'm going to take care of my language requirements with summer courses), but they usually end up adding a lot of additional cost.

10. Jeremy_X

Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    What I would do in your shoes is drop the course.
    Don't overload yourself for any reason. It isn't worth it. College isn't a race and the horrible realities of rent or mortgage payments, crap jobs and awful bosses, frightful work enviroments and bad pay, will still be there a year or two later.
    I'm not telling you to slack off and drink yourself stupid because you'll never get this chance again because this is college. That isn't true at all, you can act like a moron anytime you want to pay the price. What I'm saying is that life is short enough as is, why not enjoy this last chance at having a real shot at exploring all your desires, great and small, before facing the grim realities of the 9 to 5?
    Basically, none of us can truly give you the answer, what worked and works for me may or may not work for you. Me, I tried to get out of school as fast as I could, so fast that I dropped out of high school as a sophomore to get my AA, which I got, at a community college and then get in to a real school[/I ]which I did. Turns out that those real schools I longed for, are for the most part, high school all over again. I messed up my first chance at making friends and memories, I've decided that I'm not screwing it up a second time, so I'm taking it easy this time around. Takes me five or six years to get where I want to be instead of the two, three, three and a half I orginally planned for, so what?
    Sorry if this ramble doesn't help you, and I'm sure it will draw fire from some, but basically, ask yourself does it truly matter if you are out on schedule or a semester or a year or three years late? Can you live, really honestly live, with not making it out of college and in to the working world by the date you set? If you can't, then don't drop the class, if you can then drop it and move on.

11. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    if accounting is essential for staying on track, then i would consider dropping one (maybe two?) of the less essential courses so i could focus on the more important class.

and i'm pretty sure that you can't take courses that are essential to one's major as pass/fail. the policy varies from school to school, though, i guess.

12. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Be careful when dropping courses. Make sure you will still have enough credits to keep full time status (if you are full time). Also, if you drop, drop soon enough to avoid penalties (i.e. late drop credits, some schools have them). Trust me on this. Don't drop unless you absolutely have to, and if you do, there may be other consequences, like having interest accrue on any student loans or worse. Either way, hang in there.