1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

To each is own

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lowner, May 4, 2006.

1. Lowner

Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    I had my first practice with the contemporay worship service that my church has. Their normal bass player is a high school kid and he will be at senior prom the night that the next service is. so I will be subbing for him. Last night he came to the practice anyway. I started setting up and this little punk criticized the fact that I like to EQ my bass from the amp only and not the amp and the bass. I turn all the knobs off on my bass except the volume. Then I EQ the bass using the knobs on the amp. I simply like the tone I get when I do this. well this kid tells me that its wrong and you cant do that. I said why not and he says cause it sounds bad. I told him to each his own and it does not sound bad to my ears. he just said whatever and walked away.

2. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    maybe you should look into a passive bass? not that you're wrong in this situation, but just something to think about...

anyway, he's a douche.

3. Lowner

Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    I do it on a passive or active bass. Again I like the tone it gives me.

4. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    i apologize for all stupid teenagers...we are not all like that.

5. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    its actually really dependant on how your stage is wired up. if youre sending a split signal from your bass to your PA and your amp, eqing at your amp will have no effect on the signal going to the PA. this means you will sound different to the congregation, maybe even sound bad. gets more obvious the larger the congregation (and hence the louder the PA)

(take for example, you have a bright bass, that you eq to darkness on your amp. you'll hear the dark bass, but the congregation will still hear a bright bass. this may not work for the song, and dont count on the PA guy eqing your sound for you)

this is also the case if your bass is plugged direct to PA and the signal comes back to your amp (a very odd wiring config)

then again, if your PA line out is coming from your amp (ie. bass -> amp -> PA), then he's being an ass.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Personally I don't see a right or wrong about anything, there's different ways to get the same and different results. Change one thing in the signal chain and everything changes in response.

Pretty pointless to tell anybody anything especially anything that is not likely to be well recieved. But it's one thing to ask a guy how he gets his tone, it's another to tell him unsolicited how he should get it. Most players aren't going to recieve such comments well unless they're not hearing what they want beforehand.

Sounds like if he'd have used a different approach (like this how I've got desireable tone here) it probably would have been more palletable. He's young, maybe he'll learn some diplomacy in the future.

Nevertheless, I'd probably give his approach a go if I didn't get what I wanted out of my own. May give it a test run anyway, just to see if it makes a difference in that setting.

Just cause somebody's an !@$hole doesn't necessariliy mean they may not have some useful input. The music world tends to be more full of jerks than usual.

7. Sounds like he was fixing for an appendage measuring competition to me... insecure teenager sees you doing a much better job of it than he does and attempts to find any fault in what you're doing.

I usually just totally ignore kids who say stuff like that, but if they really bug me I keep pressing them for specific answers; "you just can't" doesn't cut it.

8. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    I usually (ie: always) EQ for the room using the amp controls, and leave the bass EQ flat, unless and until I feel/hear a need during a tune to make a change, and then I reach for the EQ on my bass. My reasoning is, my bass EQ goes with me wherever I walk, the amp EQ is stuck in one place, and it might not be convenient to make a quick adjustment during a song.

But, as Donald "Duck" Dunn said, "If the **** fits, wear it!"

And, I'm usually (ie: always) suspicious when somebody (especially when they may not have been born when I graduated high school) speaks in absolutes.

-You can't put rounds on a fretless.

-You can't play funk without slapping.

-You can't slap on a fretless.

etc. etc.

Do what you need to do to get the results you want.

In short, "Rock on."

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    To each his own is right.

I survive in a town of bassists who think they know what they're doing, criticize each other and barely know what they themselves are doing. When it comes to gear, I'm the master and they come crawling for help, and when it comes to subbing, they call me. They complain that I show up with a Fender and a rig twice the size of theirs but it sounds great. I play it differently because I don't slap often. The rest of the kids think they're Flea clones.

Needless to say this post had a meaning before I started. I seem to have lost it.

10. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    Teens aren't the only jerks. I was worked for a large PA company and we were doing a show with Doobie Bros and ZZ Top opening the show. We had finished the Doobie's sound check and ZZ Top and crew come rolling in and setup. They get ready for their sound check and their manager who also mixes comes to the console. He starts rattling off all these EQ settings he wants. We look at him say you haven't heard our system why not listen first. He starts into a major hissy fit telling us how great he is and to dam well just do what he says. We look at him like he's crazy and he continues to rant. So we don't argue and make the settings he wants. It sounded like crap, but he wouldn't admit it, his excuse was that the room was still empty. Well that night ZZ Top sound sucked, he got what he wanted. The Doobies did what most bands did let us put up a mix and then their sound man tweaked what he wanted.

If that kid actually knew what he was talking about he could of said... This room sounds like X you may want to do Y. Better yet let you start and offer advise after hearing you in the room.

11. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Turning the tone controls all the way down does seem a little strange to me also, unless you have a boost only pre amp like a Spector tonepump. BUT, if you get the sound you want doing it that way, Then it's the right thing to do for you.

12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Actually what you're doing sounds kind of bassackwards or more diplomatically put- that is not the approach that I would take unless I was doing a dub worship service (in which case it wouldn't be incense you are smelling :eek: ), however, to each his own is spot on and it's your tone, your taste - do what you think is best, damn the torpedos - full speed ahead.

I will say that when I supply a rig to an open mic, All EQ changes are going to come from
    1. The bass
    2. The EQ floor pedal that someone brings along with them.

- and not my amp ...

When I do the open mic thing without my rig, or go to sit in with someone else, I take a floor box EQ with me as I don't want to screw up someone elses carefully though out settings... that's just being respectful