Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To effect or not to effect, that is the question.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Groovski, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Groovski

Groovski

Sep 20, 2002
    My happy place
    A bass player buddy of mine and I were talking about shtuff the other day, You know Bass player stuff, and he said that in his band (Alternative Rock) he uses alot of effects on almost every song. Me myself, I have no interest in effects on my bass at this point. How do yall feel about the use of effects.:p

2. I dont like them. I like my pure clean tone. My guitairst tries and tries to get me to use distortion. :rolleyes:

:D:D

Merls

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I use effects pretty much on my own time. In a band, I'll let the guitar players lay down all the effects.

4. Since I'm just a hobby bassist for the time being, I'll use some effects. Really though, all I've bothered to get are distortion, flanger, and EQ. I'd like to get a chorus, or maybe a multi-effects unit.

5. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    well I wouldn't mind a bass overdrive. just because I think everything sounds better overdriven. plus it's fun to play aroud with harmonics.
    but I don't think you can give a concrete answer like "NO! effects are evil!!" or vice versa. it all depends on the bass players individual tastes

6. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    If I could afford them I'd get some effects pedals, I mean, why not?

But really I wouldn't use them to cover my way of playing. Maybe a fuzz pedal and a few volume altering pedals will do.