Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To EVO or not. Ashdown

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Jan 18, 2006.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    What is the difference between EVO, EVO 2 or no EVO Ashdowns? Ive found a deal on a mint ABM500 EVO. What do I miss if I son´t get an EVO 2?

2. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    According to Marty at Ashdown (I once asked the same question), going from EVO to EVO II you'll gain a few watts, footswitch for the tube feature, and a little more noticeable grind from the tube. Could possibly be some more tweaking to the preamp as well. The MAG series is close to the same amp minus the tube in the preamp.

3. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    The EQ is different between the MAG and ABM. i hadnt realised this when i upgraded from my MAG to ABM. even the specs on Ashdowns website are wrong and confused.
    I though the ABM would sound like my MAG but it doesnt, it sounds much better.just wanted to share that with you.

Dave.

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks. The MAG does not interest me. They are not of the same quality, but they sound good in their own way. The ABM 500 EVO 1 is what I have been offered at a third of the new price of an EVO 2.

5. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I'd take an EVO I for that price over an EVO II. I owned an EVO I combo and it sounded great. Just depends on how important the extra tube grind is to you (although I doubt it's a huge difference).

6. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    My ABM 900 is a regular ol' EVO. I love it, I'd never give it up, not for anything in the land.

I played a ABM 500 EVO II and I honestly didn't notice much difference. I think the only plus side about the II is the footswitchable grind. But I like a little dirt or grunt if you will in my sound always.

EVO is great, I'd do it.

7. Here in the US the street price of an ABM500 EVO2 is $900. If I had a chance at an EVO 1 in good condition for $300, I would jump at it. That is a great price on a great amp.

8. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    It was not as good as that. The price I got was 1/3 the list price and 50% of the street price. I will have the top delivered sometime next week.

I had an ABM300 (first edition) and it was great. If this one is as good I´ll be a happy man. :hyper: