Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

to fender or to Squier this is my question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Coutts_is_god, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    So a few weeks ago I played a fender highway 1 jazz bass. I loved this thing but I can never aford the high $ they want for it. Then I look at the American. Yeah those are even more money. So then I came across a standerd jazz. Once again still to much.

But the squier is under $350. Everything I've read about them says they are just as good as a fender. So should I look into getting a squier or should I look more into a used fender?

Ps. I don't know what to buy. I really need to upgrade my gear really bad.

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I don't think it's possible to upgrade to a squier. Anywho, go for a used MIM jazz, you can find those for around 200-300.

3. exactly! squiers like a really big downgrade, i highly recomend anything else. and i mean anything...

4. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    Look for a used MIM Jazz instead of going Squier. I don't suggest buying one without playing it first (MIMs are hit and miss), but it's possible to find a good one for very little money.

5. same as woody said fender stuff is hit or miss. i have one squire and two fenders and the squire is better than the mim fender. just keep playing them untill you find one you like. if you do go with the squire i recommend changing the tuners and you should have a good bass.

6. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    i still have my first squire...it was my first bass. I Loved it.
    It is not a high end ax but it did and continues to do the job.
    Play everything before you buy it!!! :bassist:

7. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Thanks for all the posts.

See buying gear is vary confuseing for a lad with only 3 years of playing. I mean every other day "Should I get a new amp or bass? That rumble or Yorkville? Jazz or something else? Squier or fender? Oh wait what about this?" It never ends.
    I really need to up grade my old starter package thingy.

8. LoRida

LoRida

Apr 15, 2003
    Poland
    Well the problem with most of the spin offs (meaning "licenced by" cheap stuff like the Squiers, OLPs etc.) is that you'll never know what you get. The quality control is crappy and you might get some nicely playing bass, but usually they kinda suck. I myself was dead lucky when I bought my Squier Jazz Bass because it sounded nice, but still ANY, and I mean it, ANY MIM Fender was killing my Squier with just one note.

Search For Some Used FENDER.

9. Racsen

Racsen

Dec 6, 2003
    Turkey
    I have a Cort GB35 A and i think about changing it with a squire jazz bass is it worth ?

10. BucketButt

BucketButt

Sep 10, 2003
    Medina, TN USA
    Several questions come to mind:

1. How long have you been playing?

2. Are you taking/have you taken lessons from a good instructor?

3. Are you gigging or intend to gig with this bass?

4. How much can you afford to pay?

5. How long do you intend to keep this new bass?

6. Have you considered other brands and models?

While I certainly have nothing against Fender (I have a Standard Precision, am now looking for a Jazz myself), I know there are other brands/models that offer a lot of bang for the buck and may be even more suitable for certain musical styles. Unless you're playing in an oldies band where a "period" look is appropriate, play everything (within your general price range) you can lay your hands on before you buy anything. Better still, consider saving up a bit longer and add a few more expensive basses to your "consideration" list.

But unless you are an experienced bassist and satisfied that your playing is at a higher level than your current instrument, I'd suggest you spend at least some of your buy-a-bass money on a continuing series of lessons. I've been playing guitar since the mid-1960s and thought I'd have no trouble teaching myself to play bass, and I suppose i was right -- except I learned the WRONG way to do some things. I've been taking weekly lessons from a good instructor for several months now, and IMHO my playing ability is only now approaching a level of quality that's worthy of the bass I'm playing; it's money well spent, and I have plenty of opportunities (before and after every lesson) to try the store's entire bass inventory. I enjoy the lessons; I'm learning a lot about different basses and bass players as well ashow to play; and my instructor is urging me into different styles of music that I'd never explore on my own, which means I enjoy playing much more because I can play more than just a few same-genre songs. I plan on continuing my lessons indefinitely, although possibly taking a few weeks off now and then; there's a LOT to learn, and I've just scratched the surface.

11. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    +1

12. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Why Fender? For $300 you can get a used Cort Curbow 4 or 5 string. It's the best choice for such few money. I have an EB MM Stingray 5 and a Fernandes Gravity and just this weekend I traded a G&L L-1505 for a Cort Curbow 5 and some money (I needed a nice backup) and it even kicks some $700/800 basses' butts. Not to mention that it plays and sounds way better than any Fender (USA/MEX/MIJ) or Squier I've ever player (not to difficult, though...). It's active and has plenty of punch and bright (maybe if you're a Fender maniac you're not familiar with these concepts). :bag:

Cheers...

ANDRÉS

P/S: Sorry for that you Fender users/lovers!!! I'm a rather profane anti-vintage bassist (yes, and I love solid state amps and hi-fi sounds). :)

13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    check this out...
    http://www.rondomusic.bigstep.com/item.jhtml;$sessionid$JBBMSNYAAAMG5TZENUEUTIWPERWRJPX0?UCIDs=850849%7C1145365&PRID=1430747

I bought one of these recently, and aside from changing the strings, and doing some setup on it, I couldn't be happier. As you can see from my sig, I'm used to playing higher end stuff.