Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To flat, or not to flat??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fenderbassabuse, Apr 20, 2004.

1. I would like to add more of a thumping sound to my bass, but with the turn of the tone knob, I would like a fair bit more brightness coming through. Sot of a John Deacon of Queen sound on another one bites the dust. I' using a P-bass with a DiMarzio model P :D :D

2. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    Deacon, recorded "Another one Bite the Dust" with a stingray. Deacon was using Rotosound strings. If I remember right they were not the RS-66 swings but one of the obscure types, that are very bright, Something like the piano strings. You can get a similer sound by boosting low-mids but keeping your highs about level with your lows. If you keep your highs dialed in it will help to keep a clear sound.
    As far as if to use flats or rounds. You have said that you did not like Fender flats for there feel. Try the Roto RS-77 jazz flats. They are very bright to begin with, but fade to a nice growly thump quickly. I found roto flats to have a feel similer to rounds. They are still a high tension string but seem to bend a little easier than the Fenders. Probably has something to do with the way they are wound. The Roto are more expensive than Fenders and do have a diffferent sound. After comparing the two side by side, I found the Fender flats to have a better sound. I would call it a warmer more traditional sound for the Fenders as opposed to a trebley sound for the Roto flats. Listen to some early Iron Maiden and what you are hearing are Roto flats.
    There is one thing that I have done to get the most out of playing flats. Exercise your hands to develop your strength. I had a hand injury that required some physical therapy for my hand strenght. When my hand had healed, and I went back to some flats, they were much easier to work with.
    Hope you find what you are looking for.

3. Thanks. I lived in Kingwood from '98-'00 if you know where that is!