To flat, or not to flat??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fenderbassabuse, Apr 20, 2004.

1. I would like to add more of a thumping sound to my bass, but with the turn of the tone knob, I would like a fair bit more brightness coming through. Sot of a John Deacon of Queen sound on another one bites the dust. I' using a P-bass with a DiMarzio model P :D :D
  2. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    Deacon, recorded "Another one Bite the Dust" with a stingray. Deacon was using Rotosound strings. If I remember right they were not the RS-66 swings but one of the obscure types, that are very bright, Something like the piano strings. You can get a similer sound by boosting low-mids but keeping your highs about level with your lows. If you keep your highs dialed in it will help to keep a clear sound.
    As far as if to use flats or rounds. You have said that you did not like Fender flats for there feel. Try the Roto RS-77 jazz flats. They are very bright to begin with, but fade to a nice growly thump quickly. I found roto flats to have a feel similer to rounds. They are still a high tension string but seem to bend a little easier than the Fenders. Probably has something to do with the way they are wound. The Roto are more expensive than Fenders and do have a diffferent sound. After comparing the two side by side, I found the Fender flats to have a better sound. I would call it a warmer more traditional sound for the Fenders as opposed to a trebley sound for the Roto flats. Listen to some early Iron Maiden and what you are hearing are Roto flats.
    There is one thing that I have done to get the most out of playing flats. Exercise your hands to develop your strength. I had a hand injury that required some physical therapy for my hand strenght. When my hand had healed, and I went back to some flats, they were much easier to work with.
    Hope you find what you are looking for.
  3. Thanks. I lived in Kingwood from '98-'00 if you know where that is!