1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

To fly or drive....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Grizzly700, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    We got a vacation in Park City, Utah and we live near Knoxville, Tennessee. Is it cheaper to drive although it will take a really long time, or to fly and then rent a car. We aren't real big travelers so we are not up to date on airline prices. We have the time to drive but it would jsut suck driving 1,800 miles in a car.

2. A single round trip ticket from Knoxville to Salt Lake is currently running about $560 - $600 on www.expedia.com.

3. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Flying is convenient. It's definitely not cheaper. However, some of the things to consider. Cost of fuel, food along the way, and of course time all add up. However, sometimes, a long road trip is a great bonding experience and you get to see a lot of cool things along the way. I've found that domestic airfare is ridiculous right now. A friend of mine was telling me that her family flew into the US for a funeral. Family flew in from Korea cheaper than family flying from parts of the US.

4. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    If I'm with people who annoy me... I'll fly.

If I'm with people who I enjoy being with and enjoy activities of debauchery, ROAD TRIP.

If it's just me, definitely fly.

Airports are fun, and getting their in 1/8th or 1/10th of the time is beautiful.

5. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    Going on the numbers that Atoz posted above, I can't see driving as being any cheaper. Let's...

ok wait, I just did more math than I've done since my sophomore year of college for you:

according to google maps that's 1789 miles, let's say you average 20mpg, that's 89.45 gallons of gas (1789m/20mpg=89.45 drop the m, etc).

Multiply that by $4 per gallon (I have no idea what gas costs by you or what you drive, hope it's a prius...) and you have $357.8, roundtrip= $715.6

According to google maps it's a day and 2 hours of driving. But that doesn't seem realistic, I would probably break that into two days or something, so you have to think about that break along the way. BUT, if you have kids (2 extra plane tickets), driving is the better way to go fiscally, but I can't imagine any kid sitting still for that long.

That was fun! Math doesn't have to totally blow I guess.

edit: someone check my math, that seemed too easy.

6. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    To me, the opportunity cost of wasted time from driving outweighs the explicit financial cost.

And good lord, kids in a car ride for that long. I'd rather shoot myself than make a trip like that with kids...

7. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    ::finger on nose+wink::

8. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    We have a 35 mpg on the interstate car so it will be like $500 cheaper to drive. I'd rather use that for fun stuff to do in Park City. :p There's only 3 of us going and all of us can drive. So, other 2 sleep, awake. I think we can drive there no problem although flying is way convenient because last time we flew we got to Florida in about an hour and a half. That's atleast a 10 hour drive.

9. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    I drove from Michigan to Mexico four months ago, we usually fly, but that day I just told my family to get in the car and I started to drive, 40 hours later I was in the co-pilot seat with a six pack of beer in my lap and my wife was driving ( I mean we were in Mexico, my wife doesnt drink so we didnt break the law), it was a great experience, we stopped in San Antonio, Memphis and Chicago. However we decide that next time we will fly , just more convenient, specially we you have two kids of ages of 3 and 4