1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

To follow the dream or to not follow the dream?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Aug 10, 2007.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    So I keep plugging and what not and I have yet to meet anyone in LA that I connect with on a musical level. Played with tons of great and amazing people and musicians, but thus far, haven't foung the spark.

In the meantime, I keep doing auditions to join bands. Not neccesarily because I'm into the music, but because I might meet someone and why not, I'm not doing anything else.

Here is the thing though - do I just keep on plugging at starting a band ground up (which I realize is hard and not easy but what I'd prefer to do) OR just jump on whichever train gets me to somehere?

What do y'all think?

2. I think it's important to be doing both. I'm in the same boat; I feel stagnant, musically.

I think the most comforting thing is, knowing that you aren't the only one that's going through it :meh:

3. Amen.

4. Winemule

Winemule Guest

Feb 27, 2005
    Find a band you can live with, and play. Play as much as possible. Get paid as much as possible. Excuse the cliche, but it's true: the journey is the destination. Nothing--not even private lessons with your favorite bass pro--will school you as much as performance in front of an audience.

5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Fortunately, it's not either/or. Remain active with various projects, jam with new people, maybe join an existing band - if it's within range of your genuine interests. But don't allow someone else's agenda to substitute for your own. If you have a vision for what you want to achieve with your own thing, then develop it and make it happen - don't let it go.

After many years of various bands and varied projects, I am finally focusing like a laser on developing my own concept, with my own ensemble. It'll be a lot of work - but it'll be absolutely worth it...

MM

6. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Hey friends,

Thanks for all the comforting and great responses. It's great advice and also good to know that I (and you) aren't alone in feelings.

THANKS!

7. Yea, feels like a little support group here.

I think MysticMichael's post really helped me out today. "Don't let someone else's agenda substitute for your won."

I guess, even if it's hard, I'm going to stay true to my artistic vision.

I guess I'll have to break it to my guitarist that he's just not my cup of tea, albeit, he's a very good cup of tea, just not mine.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Go to college and learn a skill that makes you real money, then you can do what you want musically. If I were smart I'd have done that.

9. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Funny you should say this. I had a friend say the same thing to me a while ago.

I see your point and while not with you, but coming from him it was almost insulting.

I don't think it's a matter of being smart vs. what you're most happy with doing. I did a fair amount of college before leaving. I'm a lot happier now then back in in school.

However, I am learning music therapy. I wouldn't call it a back up or a skill that makes real money, but I look at it as something else to use with what I do now.

10. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Yeah. LA is weird. If you're into hair guitar wank music you're in the right place. But being into reggae and funk and jam music was pretty dificult when I lived there. I would suggest looking at bands outside of the LA area. More in the burbs. Depends on what kind of music you like to play though.

11. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    "A goal is a dream with a deadline."

- Napoleon Hill

MM

12. MoD_Scotty

MoD_Scotty

Jul 22, 2007
    Thrapston, UK
    I was in a very similar boat, for probably the first 5 years I was playing bass. I could never find people that were interested in playing metal. It was always either Weezer-rock, or some psychadelic jamband thing. Needless to say, I learned a lot during that time frame, but I knew it wasn't what I wanted.

Oddly enough, it wasn't until I joined the military that I actually began to find people with similar metalhead tendencies. The good part, is that I now have a lot to draw on when I'm writing bass parts. What didn't kill me made me stronger.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    + 6.022 X 10[SUP]23[/SUP]

14. avogadro's number:bassist:

15. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    I'm currently in Austin, TX checking out the scene here. I did a post not to long ago about music scenes on the East Coast. I have a friend who lives here so it's like a business and pleasure trip.

Thus far, as a city, I like Austin. It's way to freaking hot though; Jesus someone switch on the AC!

From all the people I've talked to, Austin is a great place to play, a great place to hang out and network but (oddly enough) is NOT the place to start a band from scratch and try to call this place home base. That and I haven't really 'felt' it here. All my Austinite friends told me I'd absolutely fall in love with this city and thus far, I DO enjoy it and like it a lot, but I'm not in any way enamored.

But, to all you Austinites out there, you have a wonderful place to call home.

16. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Keith-

In your thread title you refer to "the dream". It sounds like you think starting your own band from scratch is essential to achieving your dream. Would you mind sharing a little more about what your ultimate 'dream' is?

17. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    G-

Well, I wouldn't say that starting my (or your to be general) own band is essential to 'the dream'.

My dream, or goal, was to start a band from scratch. So, I suppose in some odd way, yea, it is essential. However, if I found a band that I was really gaga about and would join them, then I'd be jake with that too.

But the goal for me was to go somewhere and start fresh, from scratch and then build up. Not to say that that can't still happen, but I wouldn't be opposed to the other way. Not to mention, thus far, I haven't had a lot of luck with my forward goal. Not to say that won't happen either.

To summarize the end of my dream: basically, start scratch, play out and gig a lot (I know you don't make too much ro any money here and that;s ok), start doing 'tours' and eventually at some point be making records and consistently touring and be in a financial posistion to support myself and family. I'm modest, besides, I've been to Malibu - nice but overrated.