To French Bow or Not To French Bow

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by seibass65, Jan 6, 2003.

1. seibass65

Dec 7, 2002
    I hope someone on the group can help me this this question.
    I currently play Double Bass for the Band of the Grenadier Guards(as well as playing Tuba) and have studied with Kevin Rundell(Principal Bass,London Philharmonic).Obviously living in England,I have been taught to use French bow.When I leave the band I intend to move to Germany to hopefully get a job with a German orchestra.Will I have to learn German bow to audition and play for a German orchestra?
    Paul Jones
    P.S. I hope to catch up with some of our American counterparts over the next ten weeks,as the band have a North American tour starting next week!!:)
  2. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    It is said here in France that not using the German bow is the reason why French bass players never get into German orchestras...
    There maybe other reasons too, but auditionning behind screens is not the norm, as far as I know.
  3. mcbosler

May 12, 2000
    Plano, TX
    i've always been of the opinion that you should learn both styles; not only just for the hell of it, but to be certain that you're playing with the most comfortable style when you have the choice. not to mention that whether or not the german orchestras care which you use, versatility in general = more gigs.
  4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Another way to look at it is: Beware of the man with one gun.
  5. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    funny. I just submitted a thread along these same lines !
  6. I've heard rumors that German orchestras insist on German bow.

Too bad that some people insist on one bow type, like several USA orchestras seem to.

The bows do tend toward different styles of articulation, but you can also adjust, and do pretty much anything with either type of bow if you do your homework....
  7. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    kpo, is the louisville still commisioning new music like it used to ?
  8. The L.O. still has a strong New Music series, but I don't know if they're commissioning anything anymore. Just contests to get pieces heard, I think, nothing like 15+ years ago, from what I hear.