1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

To fret or not to fret?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Techmonkey, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    For my GCSE project, I'm building a 5 string bass. I've already got all the wood for it from Larry (Wenge/Wenge neck, C. Walnut body) almost all the parts for it, just missing one more pickup (I've made a template from the one pickup so I can still route 2 places), a truss rod and some frets.

The problem comes with the latter. I'm still working on the body (not on the neck yet) but it's beginning to dawn on me that I might well not be able to do the frets to the degree of precision that would make the bass playable. Not to mention the extra hasstle fretting would add on to what's already a stressful and worrying project.

Will I regret not fretting this thing when it comes to playing in a group situation where the sound can't cut through enough, or my intonation isn't good enough, or I don't like the sound?
    Or will I regret fretting it and making something that doesn't intonate well, looks and feels bad, and takes an aweful long time?

PS: If this should be in luthiery please move it, but I think the underlying question is more about bass guitars than building bass guitars...

2. jerm

jerm

Jul 10, 2005
    I'd say don't fret. No frets just in my opinion makes you a better player all around.

3. /takes out flamethrower