Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To fret or not to fret?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Kristin Joy, Sep 13, 2001.

1. What is the general consensus for starting with a marked fretless as a beginner?

I'm sure lots of folks out there would say No Way...get a standard bass to learn it right. I'm not tone deaf in the least and pick up on learning things rather quickly. I want to soley play fretless anyway.

Opinions?

-K

2. if that's what you want to do go for it and don't let anyone around here make you change what you want to do

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    There's no stigma against fret markers on a fretless bass. There's no "right" way to learn fretless, either.

Even with the lines in place, you're still going to have to rely mostly on your ears and hands for proper intonation. A couple of millimeters either way makes a big difference. After a while, I think you'll start to get the hang of where the positions are and you can ignore the lines.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Like mentioned above, fret lines are fine. Just don't use them as a crutch. The important thing is to develop your ear, first and foremost. My fretless is lined, my teacher's fretless is lined, and we're both doin just fine. :D

Good luck!

5. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Yeah my frettless is lined.

And pretty much what SuperDuck said.

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Get a lined fretless - Gary Willis recommends it, and he knows more about playing fretless than most.

7. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    You are correct. So does Les Claypool, Mark Egan etc. Gary Willis does play an unlined fretless 5 though doesn't he?

8. but with claypool's intonation i wouldn't take his advice but i'd go for an lined one still just to get used to it