Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To gecko or not to gecko, that is the question (aka help with next bass...)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DEFELDUS, Jul 2, 2003.

1. well, im gettin close to hittin 3 years old in my bass playin life and ive decided i want a six string (well actually i decided a while ago). Ive really been checking out every thing as far as basses go and i really havent found that much that intriqued me (that i can actually afford... im still in high school!) and then i came across the warmoth geckos, ive read nothing but good things about warmoth and i really like the idea of picking everything and building it myself, but my problem is after i get everything i want with it its gonna be around 1300 dollars! now im willing to pay this for a bass thats gonna be my main for a while (i currently have two fender jazzes, mim fretted and mia fretless, but im really gettin tired of em quick.not that fenders arent good, they're just not for me...) i was wondering though, are there any other six strings in this price range (1000-1300) that i should really look into? i have looked around but i really cant find much that matches my wants/needs. the following is a list of preferences i have for my first real bass (as in the first one i have bought after gaining exp as far as what i want and like/dislike, the mim jazz is the only bass i ever bought, the mia was given to me used)

price range: under 1300

i would prefer a flatter (nonradiused?) fingerboard, UNLIKE fenders (which is my only prob with the gecko, thier fingerboards are very rounded...)

i definately want 35' scale (no floppy b for me!)

passive pu's and active electronics (any suggestions as to pu's and preamps?)

i plan on this bass lasting me through college (or at least a while...) and i really am determined to get a bass i will love. so if you have any suggestions as far as brands/basses that meet the above criteria please share them with me. websites, or any advice in general would also be greatly appreciated

also, do you think i could find any of the top quality brands (warwick/alembic/ken smith/fodera) in this price range used?

thanks in advance

2. I think you should consider a used Modulus. I've seen them go for ~$1300. I owned a 6 string with Barts and a quilted top that I bought use for around $1300 a couple of years ago. It was a fantastic bass and one that I'm sorry I sold. At some point, I will own another one.

Geckos are nice basses. However, you will probably take a beating if/when you decide to sell.

Good luck!!
    Jeff

3. thanks, i never thought about modulus, ill look into it, as far as resale value, thats not a prob, i dont think ill be sellin whatever i end up with (at least not until i need to make room for better basses =p )

4. if you can wait for a few months, i can build you one :D

*shameless plug*

5. *bump*

cmon people i know u got some help you can give me =]

6. Dr.SixString

Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    I have a Gecko 6, 2 piece swamp ash body/5 piece maple-purpleheart neck w/pao ferro fingerboard. It's a decent bass, no doubt. On the other hand if you're lucky you can find some great used bass (in your price range). Anyhow you'll not go wrong with the Gecko,
    good luck.

7. any suggestions as far as place to order used from and or brands to look for/avoid? oh and to dr six string, the necks on the geckos are pretty radiused right?

8. Dr.SixString

Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    Yeah, they are pretty radiused!!

9. Dr.SixString

Dr.SixString

Apr 30, 2002
    ...and the asymmetrical neck is weird:D:D;) but it's easy to play:cool: .

10. WELL POO ON A STICK!
    :mad:

thats what i was afraid of...
    i really really prefer flatter necks (a la ibanez, but ibanez=bah!) what would be great would be to have a fingerboard thats flat on the bass side and rounded on the treble side (i dont think this exists but if it does tell me, also whats it called?)

anyways, im going to make a thread for info about the higher end basses i believe so i can get more answers to my many questions, thanks for the help guys.