Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To get the Spector, or to not get the Spector...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SheepHerder7898, Oct 18, 2002.

1. ...that is my big question.

I went to Mars today to check out some fivers. Most were Modulus's (Moduli??) but they had a couple Spector's as well. I wasn't looking to spend a lot since this is my second bass and my funds aren't that large. Anyways, I picked up a NS2000Q5(neck-thru) and enjoyed what I found. To make a long story short, I talked the guy down to $775, originally $860.It's currently on hold for me. My question is, is this a good deal/bass for a second bass or should I wait for a better deal/bass?

2. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Nino?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

3. I'd take it for a backup. Go for it. And you're saving $85.

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    but personally, i rather go for a NS5CRFM for that price

IMHO

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I think that these basses are really nice. I had a four string version for a while & they are worth the money & the price is nice.

Like DM said, I'd look into an NS-5CR. You might be able to buy a second had one for alittle more.

6. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    go with a used spector.
    go to ebay!
    even ns-95 would be nice!
    i had the ns-94 and i loved it!
    there is one on ebay now for $525 bin

steve

7. hmmm, well I did play a nice NS5CRFM while I was there. Amazing feel and sound, but twice the price. I guess I should do some more thinking about this, I wouldn't mind a used bass at all, it's just that I like to play things before hand. I don't know, maybe thats just me. Thanks for the input!

8. I just remembered something. Mars said they would price match with anyone for the same bass. Bass central has a NS2000q5 for $599. If this is the case, I will try to find the lowest new NS5CRFM price. Any suggestions on where to find the lowest NEW price?

9. Metaltronix

Metaltronix

May 29, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Heres the one on ebay:
    SPECTOR NS-95 FIVE STRING BASS
    Now this is one sweet bass. The seller relisted it as his reserve wasnt reached last time though the high bid was $490. I got my new old stock with case SSD NS-95 for $400 on ebay a year ago so look around before you buy, theres plenty of deals out there if your patient. If you look at the pic i've attached youll see that I have older SSD spectors like the one on ebay. In my opinion their much better than the current NS-2000 models. Things like the neck heel at the body, even cheaper knobs make me search out the older SSD ones as opposed to buying a new one.

10. Metaltronix

Metaltronix

May 29, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    One more pic of both headstocks. I personally prefer the older SSD headstock but thats just me.:D