Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To Gig or Not To Gig (again)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Carolyn, Jul 13, 2001.

1. Carolyn

Carolyn

Jun 18, 2001
    Newcastle UK
    Initially when I started to play Bass, which I did for the love of the sound, I was content to spend hours practising up in my bedroom...ooer!..but now, even though I still have the same passion for my instrument, I dont get the same satisfaction as I used to.
    The question is what should I do about it? i'm not completely convinced that joining a band is the way to go.?..although I do love live music and see local bands a lot.

Anyone got any sugestions...

(ive already posted this in completely the wrong thread...so my humblest apologies before the onslaught of complaints flood in!!!)

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'll say what i said over there - go for it. you only live once - go join a band. if you don't like, you can stop, nobody will be holding a gun to your head. just be honest with the folks you're playing with - let them know how you feel, so that they aren't surprised if you decide it's not for you.

3. Carolyn

Carolyn

Jun 18, 2001
    Newcastle UK
    To be honest I feel quite daunted by the whole concept..I know I need to go forward, otherwise I wouldnt even be asking these questions..!
    So...whats next?

4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    put an ad in your local music/rec paper that musicians usually advertise in. something along the lines of

"bass player, 34, interested in beginner band with intentions of possibly performing live, i dig (insert names of bands you like to play here), have decent gear, transportation, maturity, no drugs or losers. carolyn (xxx) xxx-xxxxx"

or something along those lines. make sure the people who answer actually meet the requirements that you are looking for. you could also add something about looking for other female musicians, if you are, or the fact that you are a female musician - some rock bands are specifically looking for female musicians, so that might help you out.

another thing you could do is to find a local club or bar that has an open mic night, and just go and play your bass by yourself. get an opportunity to play what you know in front of people - regardless of what it is. go to the open mic without your instrument, just to get a feel for the vibe of the place, and if you feel comfortable enough, give it a shot.

i used to do that a lot of times when i was between bands - many times i would just noodle around for about 5 or 10 minutes - this particular club was really cool for that kind of stuff mixed with bands coming up to try out new songs, and sometimes bands needing musicians would show up too to look for people. i remember one time i performed sober by tool - just playing bass and singing. went over pretty well, and i'm no maynard on vocals - 3 different bands wanted to get in touch with me. :D

5. go for it..

like John said.. you only live once.. take the chance.. if you don't like it.. you can always quit..
    on the other hand.. if you like it, great !

6. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Check ads, music postings at music stores etc and go audition for some bands. If you know some musicians, get together with them and play some music, any kind of music. This will open you up to a new experience and new ideas and a new perspective. In short, get out there into the musical world and let your voice be heard.

7. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    go for it!!! gigs = women!! :D :D :D, which i've never had luck with yet :(

8. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    That may or may not be the right motivation in this case...

Carolyn, go find a band. If you don't like it, find another. Life's too short not to play in a band if you have the chance. Good luck.

9. Carolyn

Carolyn

Jun 18, 2001
    Newcastle UK
    Thanks Guys !

You've covered options that I hadn't given a thought to!...

I had thought what would be my biggest dis-advantage ( and there are many!) would be the fact that I've played with myself (excuse the phrase!), for so long. I'm now a fairly selfish musican... I play what I want , when I want,how I want!..so I'm not sure how that would fit into an established 'band' dynamic.

The open mic I find a draw, I know of a couple places locally that do it, so I'll give that a go!!!

I should really of thought of the theatre and live performances myself, as my background is in orchestra..my first instruments are flute and sax.!, but my love is bass...

Thanks for your input, it's much appreciated.

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It's like any other career, in the respect that, you have to flip burgers before you get to the level of choosing which cuisine you want to cook.

If it's a gigging band, play whatever they are playing. They didn't get the gigs by playing what no one wants to hear. I'm not crazy about all the songs in the set lists I have to play, but it's certainly a negligible price to pay for getting the opportunity to play the ones I like.

Once you've established some credibility and a bit of a rep, your name inevitably gets into the network and you will probably find you don't have to post ads much any longer.

IMO, competent women musicians are highly desireable because they help differentiate a band from the vast majority.