Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

To Gig or Not to Gig??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Carolyn, Jul 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carolyn

Carolyn

Jun 18, 2001
    Newcastle UK
    Initially when I started to play Bass, which I did for the love of the sound, I was content to spend hours practising up in my bedroom...ooer!..but now, even though I still have the same passion for my instrument, I dont get the same satisfaction as I used to.
    The question is what should I do about it? i'm not completely convinced that joining a band is the way to go.?..although I do love live music and see local bands a lot.

Anyone got any suggestions??

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the best way to find out is....try it out! :D you can always stop if you don't like it. give it a try, find some folks that are on the same page you are, as far as the music you like to play and the vibe that you enjoy, and give it a spin.

you only live once, right?

3. I agree totally with JT.

Playing with others has also forced me to become a much better all around player.

4. Playing alone in your room is like sitting at the bottom of a hill and staring up.
    Playing live with others is like standing at the top of the hill and seeing all the beautiful mountains ahead of you.

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Joining a band is only one option. That being said, it's a really good one. Like JT said, try it out. Remember though, often it takes more than one try to find the right band. Understand that finding a band of like-minded positions can be difficult, but don't let the deter you from trying. It's very rewarding for many people, and often can stretch you and force you to play with a different mindset than playing solo.

Also, remember that it doesn't have to be a formal band that gigs, records, publicizes, etc. You can simply find a select group of people for informal jams. If it leads somewhere, great. If not, so what? You'll never know until you try.

And if you do get involved, remember the most important thing about being part of a band: Have fun!

6. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Another option that may or may not be feasible for you may be amatuer or community theater in your area. If you don't yet read music, this can be a good way to force yourself to ramp up. The score, IME, is made available about 2 mos. prior to the first performance, along with a practice tape. Full rehearsals with the band typically start a month prior to first performance, so you got a month to work up to speed.

I'm currently on my third and fourth shows, having previously done "Oklahoma" and "South Pacific". I cheated and wrote the notes above the written music, which was admittedly lame. On "You're a Good Man Charlie Brown" and "West Side Story", I'm trying to go cold turkey and read the score. Slowly getting better...

Another avenue may be a "Rehearsal Band" that plays together but does not gig. Put up notices in local music stores, coffee houses, or anywhere where there may be an open mic night. Alot of folks want to play, but not gig, to keep up their skills, or play stuff that they don't get a chance to in their main gig. I'm in a classic rock/original band, but it doesn't meet all of my 'needs'. I still participate in a bi-weekly blues jam, play in church, do shows, and occasionally rehearse/backup in my brother's big band. All of these things have forced different skills to improve.

I believe that the opportunity for bass players to play is out there, regardless of ability. You just gotta look for them...

Good luck,
    -robert

7. Carolyn

Carolyn

Jun 18, 2001
    Newcastle UK
    Cheers Guys!..

I'll continue this one in the misc. forum..(yeah I know...posted in this one by mistake!! thats women for you! haha...)

Thanks for taking the time to reply...

Carolynxxxxx

8. ok since you continued it over in Misc, I'm gonna close the thread, k?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.